Need help I don’t identifying trunk indent

Can anyone tell me what this notch in my 68’s trunk is for ; my daughters does have it

When and where was it built?

This help

I mean it’s taking shape I was just curious cause I’ve seen 4 others and none had this indent in the trunk

Mike, in regards to you thanking me for putting up the link on the other thread, you’re welcome. BTW, my car has the same indention also in the trunk and I also don’t know what it is. Seeing the schedule build date on the picture of your door data tag, according to my Marti report, my car was built July 23rd (23U on my data tag).

Thanks Mike for the VIN and projected build date. At least it gives us a range to focus on. Would be helpful if we knew for sure when the car was really built but we work with what we have at this point

Looking through my limited amount of trunk pictures without a spare or mat in the way and considering how late you car may have been built There are a couple of possibilities and facts

1- Late 68 production may have brought with it a change in the floor design to provide more room or space for a centrally located fuel sender with exit hole from the trunk.

2- How much panel (specifically floor) repairs has been done to the car if you know since it is easy to see that does not appear “untouched” since new. See that we have another confirmation of another 68 with it it might not be a possibility or maybe it still is. Original would have a stamping date that could be compared to other panels that make up the unibody. Just exploring the different ideas.

3- Looking at 69’s I see more examples of this center risen area formed into the forward trunk floor. Was this a design feature carried over from late 68 production. Possibly - See below

4- In the Mustang in 69 there were different routing and different holes for different engine types. Not certain that engineers that designed this feature were the same ones that designed with on the Cougar but highly likely IMHO. For your 68 they may have only had one late 68 design after they used up the earlier versions or it was a mistake and the workers grabbed the wrong forward floor. Would only know after having more examples and data points.

69 example with the center “bump” and alternative fuel sender wire

Hope this helps in some way

Interesting. MikeD, what is on the underside of the two bolt heads in your pic of the 68 indent circled in red?

I’m betting that those are the forward anchor/attachment points for possibly the after market tow hitch that may have been on the car at some point. We’ll have to wait for him to confirm

1 Like

I cannot believe a tow hitch would go that far in, past the gas tank ;
But only the two nuts for the bolts on the under side ; I’ll take a pic this evening

Funny so mine was built the day after yours

Not necessarily that it was. The date code on the data tags were the “Scheduled” build dates.
Cars were built either ahead, on or behind schedule. A Marti report will tell you the exact date: Marti Auto Works - Marti Report .

I have seen tow hitches that ran under the gas tank and were attached in that area. If I remember correctly, I had a 68 Xcode XR7 parts car with one.
Mike