New 1157 "Plasma" LED Taillight Bulbs: Friggin' Bright!

Really cool. I want some. I like how the light actually fills the lens. Did an LED brakelight bulb in my softail, and was actually more dim as it didn’t seem to illuminate the lens, just a very bright small dot. Needless to say it came out as I need all the help I can get being seen on my bike.

I installed my LED conversion today. It works well. I had called WCCC with a question about the front 1157 light bulbs. I was reading the instructions for the electronic flasher and it states for use with LED bulbs only. I also should have red the LE Sequencer instructions. The front bulbs can be 1157s.

Just installed the plasma bulbs on my 67 and noticed with “key on” the tail lights are slightly illuminated. To clarify this is with the headlight switch in the off position and not pressing the brake pedal. The license plate lights are however not on as they would be with the switch in the parking/headlights position. Switching to parking/headlight position result in a brighter normal running light operation, and brake lights operate correctly too. Turn signals also work correctly. This isn’t normal is it?

By they way, I have the solid state sequential box.

installed new plasma bulbs in the rear (red 1157) and front (1157 amber) with electronic sequencer box and electronic flasher. Both instrument panel trunsignal lights light up and stay lit when I turn on the headlights or the parking lights and the flashers won’t work. everything works fine with out turning on the parking or head lights. Very frustrating and odd. I pulled each bulb individually and nothing helped until I put the original amber bulbs back in the front lights. everything worked as it should after that. I think I narrowed it down to just one of the front bulb sockets but I am still confused as to why just those front plasma bulbs caused this condition.
Any ideas? Could it be the contacts (larger than normal) of the plasma bulb actually shorting between the two internal bulb posts? Grasping at straws here and need some guidance. :think:

I thought I read somewhere that the circuit needs a regular bulb somewhere in there so everything works right.

This evening I noticed my cruise control (aftermarket) would not engage…it then occurred to me there must be a connection! I recall connecting one of the cruise wires to the brake light switch. It’s for a safety feature (which really all modern cars have) that disengages the cruise when the brake is depressed. I will dig a little deeper tomorrow, but I bet that is the cause of my problem. It must provide a small amount of current to the brake wire and when a higher voltage is present the cruise will disengage and/or not engage at all. The LEDs and their lower draw must be causing slight problems with my particular setup.

Just installed the plasma LED lights in my 69. Put in the 6 red tail light bulbs, 2 amber front turn signal bulbs, 2 white back up lights, new LED sequencer, and 2 LED flasher can replacements under the dash. Turn signals work great front and rear. No brake lights, no emergency flashers. When I turn the parking lights or headlights on, everything lights up as it should except the innermost driver side taillight. I am very happy with the brightness and speed of the sequencing turn signals. I think i have some more checking into this. Anyone have some input?

I put in the plasma LED tail lights (6), the plasma LED backup lights, and plasma LEDs in the front turn signals. Got the newer LED version of the sequencer board in the trunk, and 2 of the LED flasher can replacements.
First after installing all that, I had no emergency flashers and no brake lights. Turn signals and sequencials work great.
If I put the regular emergency flasher can back in I get emergency flashers, all turn signals work right, but still no brake lights.
I swapped the LED flashers, and all with the same results as above.
If I change everything back to original, I get brake lights. What is the issue here? any ideas?

Well I was considering going with LED tail lights in a future small project… I guess I will keep on reading this thread before doing so.
BTW I just purchased the dash cluster LEds… I hope it goes better than with the 1157’s.

I have no idea what the problem you are having is. I did thes but only changed the turn signal flasher to the LED unit and all works well. Keep us updated.

Update:
What a moron I am. The brake light switch had come off and was not connected.
So almost everything works now. Had everything back in, all LED lights, LED sequencer, LED flashers (2). Everything worked except emergency flashers. Had to take out the yellow plasma LEDs out of the front turn signals and put the incandescence back in and the regular flasher can in the emergency flasher spot to get everything to work. I can live with that and am glad to have everything working great and BRIGHT!!!

New video featuring Richard (a.k.a. Mistress) on what’s needed to convert your '69-'73 Cougar to the Plasma LED bulbs. Hopefully this clears some things up for some of you!

https://youtu.be/8Yuak3g-TcA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yuak3g-TcA

Great work and video guys. It seems that a lot of engineering went into figuring the LED system for each year Cougar.
Steven

This was very informative. I just ordered 10 bulbs and what was said I needed to make it work. Now what about the head lights high and low beam upgrade? Do you have something for this? The only thing I have run across so far is the Xtravision H5006 Low beam and the H5001 high beam. What do you know and suggest?
Jeff Cumming with a 1973 Cougar
Had a 1971 Cougar XR7 in High School

So far we have yet to locate a 4 headlight system in LED that we like enough to promote. They will appear in time I think. These bulbs have earned us the most positive reviews of any product we have ever listed, check the reviews out here,

We have a halogen headlight conversion kit that comes with a relay: Halogen headlight Conversion - Complete Kit - Repro ~ 1967 - 1968 Mercury Cougar ( 1967 Mercury Cougar, 1968 Mercury Cougar ) at West Coast Classic Cougar :: The Definitive 1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar Parts Source

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/h … ougar.html
When I go to this site, The application does not say for my 1973 Cougar. Can you check it out and see if it will work or not? I already ordered the other outside Plasma replacement bulbs.

Do you make a complete interior upgrade Plasma bulb kit, including dome light?

Oops, I posted the 67-68 version by mistake. 69-73 version is here. I think the main difference is the relay wiring. It’s important to use a relay with halogen headlights in these old cars.

We don’t have a kit for that because it just depends on how many of the bulbs you want to replace. You can do trunk lights and under hood lights too. Wherever there’s enough room for tall bulbs, you can use the white 1156 plasma bulbs. For the instrument cluster, we have these. And here’s an LED dome light for standard 71-73 coupes. The XR-7’s didn’t have the dome light, they had the C-pillar “Opera” lights instead. I’m not sure if the Plasma bulbs are too tall for those, but these would probably fit. Hope that helps!

Do you have a halogen headlight conversion kit instillation video for wiring and relay placement for my 1973 Cougar. By the way, you are batting 1000 because I have ordered everything you have suggested. Thanks
Jeff Cumming