New guy that needs input on first 68 Cougar purchase

Hey guys. I am brand new to this forum and would love the input of you “pros” before making a decision. I have a 63 Nova that has been restored. It’s a great car, but I am wanting to get something that is not a common in the muscle car world. I found a 68 Cougar on Craislist (I know). Here is the description that it has with the Cougar.

“$20k just put into this car. 2nd place winner at world of wheels. 30 over 302. runs and sounds great. Less than 1k miles on build.
HID high and low beams. airbag rear shocks. new chrome. 18” Foose rear and 17" Foose front."

We have been talking back and forth and he is interested in trading for my Nova. I know you can’t tell everything by the pictures, but what are your thoughts. Also here is the link to a YouTube video walk around he did of the car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kMGBnWYdM4

I would love any input you can provide. What questions to ask, what to look for, etc… I’ve watched Don’s video on what to look for when buying, but I haven’t seen the car in person yet. Here are a few pictures of his Cougar. I can also include some of my Nova if you would like them for comparison.

[album]1608[/album][album]1611[/album][album]1612[/album][album]1613[/album][album]1610[/album][album]1609[/album]

Looks like a nice car. And anytime you can trade a Chebby for a good car, well that’s a big bonus. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your decision.

Welcome aboard! I’m with Al. Be sure to go see the car whatever the plane fare. Don’s video pretty much covers what you’ll want to look for. My biggest concern would be rust. You don’t want to have to wreck that pretty paint, etc. to have to fix rust issues.

Send us pictures when you get it home!!! :slight_smile:

I know that it’s hard to get an accurate price, but if you were to guess, what is a dollar value on it? I know he says he has over 20k invested.

I just looked at eBay. There are 5 or 6 pretty nice looking '68s on there right now. Then have a look at “sold listings.” The nicest one that recently sold went for $14.8K, with some other good looking cars that went in the 10-12K range.

In order to get his $20K back, he would have needed to invest it in a more desireable car. This is a standard with base level interior and no major options that I can see. He’s painted it a non-stock color and bolted on a huge unpainted hood scoop and a wing. I’d say that $10-$12K would be maximum value, assuming everything works as it should, the paint is as nice in person as it appears in the photos, there are no mechanical issues and there are no hidden problems with rust.

Let’s see your Nova.

The only thing I noticed in the video was paint on the fender bolts and trunk latch. Not a big deal, but I’d want to see the car in person.

Here are a few quick pictures I have. I have some underneath ones if you want to see more. It’s worth a lot more than 10-12k

These pics are kinda small. Let me know how they show up. I can post bigger ones.

My advice is to sell your Nova outright and then buy a Cougar with all or some of the proceeds. I think you’ll come out ahead if you do that and you’ll still end up with a very nice car.

With respect to this Cougar, my opinion closely tracks with Jeff. In addition, the front end seems to sit too high in the first picture and I really don’t like think that hood scoop integrates well with the custom paint or the lines of the car. I don’t think this car is a fair trade for yours.

I have to agree with Jeff.

Personally, for 20k I’d rather have your Nova than that Cougar.

Thanks for the input. That was what I was thinking.

What is the DSO of the car as seen on the DS door data plate? I would like to see a video of the underside. An additional unknown number of hours invested and about $3000 and the car would be very sharp… A straight across trade does not sound too unreasonable. Your car might be cleaner but which one is more desirable on the market? Would your car really sell north of the $13k the Cougar might be worth? In the end, does it really matter if you are 100% even-steven? This is your hobby-feel-good-fund not an investment right? A guy could blow $10k in a hurry on a fishing trip to Alaska or a Golf cart and maybe not get the same endorphin release…

Don, those are all good points. Help me out a little what is the DSO on the DS data plate? I can ask him to take a picture of it for me. I paid 18k for my Nova about a year ago, but like you said it’s a hobby (although currently my daily driver). From what I’ve seen it looks like everyone has a Nova, I am looking for something different than what ever one else has.

Any ideas on why the front sits higher?

If condition of both cars are equal. I think it would be a fair trade given the resale value of both cars. With that said, if it were me I would sell the Nova out right as I’m not too fond of some of the mods done. But, that is just a matter of “my” taste and the mods done to the Cougar might suit you well.

Wrong coil springs installed, or he might need it that hight to clear the large wheels.

delete… double post

For the money you should buy this one being talked about in another thread. Way nicer Cougar for the money even if it needs some maintaince work done. 67 big block 4spd fixed will be worth more in the end with a “high” fun factor! https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/67-big-block-4-speed-clutch-help-needed/3369/1

The door data tag riveted to the drivers side door shows the DNA of the car. Post a pic here and we will decode it for you. Like your Nova, getting big wheels and tires to fit without rubbing can be a challenge thus the raised height.