New to site and posting

looking for information on the right direction to go with my cougar.my cougar is a 1967 xr7 gt all original 390 4 speed posi rear vinyl top in very nice condition with 22,700 something miles. always wanted one since I first saw them in 1967 the year after I graduated High school. I wanted to drive it, so I have been working on it.I have been Welder Mechanic all my life(still working).I think the car is pretty rare. 1 of 905 with engine and transmission codes, Was in garage or barn out of the weather most of its life. This is my first post on this forum? I am from Suffern NY later.[CCCGallery][/CCCGallery]

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a really neat Cougar!

What sort of directional information are you looking for?

Don’t laugh, I know nothing about posting on forums, and not real good with computers. I am a good Welder and been in Mechanics all my life.
So what I am trying to figure out is what I should do with this Cougar I picked up.It is a NY car I have the marti report, was sold 10 miles from me originally and may have had the original owner all its life. I have it running now. It was neglected a little. doesn’t appear to have ever had any body work, has a patina slight rust in many areas, but not bad. It is a real survivor, was registered last in 2002.Exaust system was shot, picked up stainless 2.50" for it, wondering if that was good move, was thinking longevity and performance. But they cant supply down pipes from manifold, wondering if that is a bad move and if I should make them or if I can find ready made from 2" to 2.50". So these are a couple of things I am thinking about. I didn’t want to do things and have negative after thoughts to think about. Still so busy with my Welding business witch makes it hard to leave from that priority, and not feel guilty. Hope this makes sense. Jim

Hmm… I don’t have a good answer for you on the exhaust questions, but others here on the site should be able to chime in with some insights there.

As for what to do with the car, I recommend making it road worthy and just drive and enjoy it. Fix the things that need fixing, take it around to some cruises and shows and whatnot, and have a good time with it. I think that will help you figure out what you want to do with it in the future :slight_smile:

Remember, just because it is “rare” doesn’t mean you have to commit to a “concours restoration” now or in the future. There are plenty of these cars out there when you look. If you want to restore it, resto-mod it, or just enjoy as-is, that’s your prerogative. The important thing, in my opinion, is to do what makes you happy with it, and just get it out for you and others to enjoy.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Mike B.

Thanks Mike, pretty much that is the way it has been heading. Been buying parts from North west Classic Cougar, great People to deal with, very helpful. I wish it weren’t so far away I would love to check it out. The Don Rush videos have helped me out quite a bit. Jim