no brake lights

:cry: have tail lights turn lights,but no brake or hazard.have a new switch in the column ,no power to brake light switch,but all fuses are good,except little 5amp,cant get pwer to that one at all,is this my problem,just completing a 4 yr restro right down to a 408 strooker

Not a help for the brake light problem but the 5 amp will have voltage when the headlights are on and will vary in voltage by the setting of the headlamp switch dimmer (for dahs lights).

your car is my twin,except the rims and rocker moldings,I have the mag 500s and the bullet rockers,and thanks

I have the sae problem with my 1970.
How did you resolve the problem ???
Thanks for any suggestions.

Tony

Tony,

First, do your Emergency flashers work? The brake lights and the emergency flashers share the same 15 amp circuit breaker. If they work, test the brake light switch to make sure the switch is working properly. Note if you have recently converted your brakes from manual to power, you need to replace it with a power brake specific switch,

The 70 Cougar brake Circuit 511 (green) splits from the brake light switch, one goes directly to the Sequential unit in the trunk and the other goes to the turn signal switch. The 511 circuit in the turn signal switch is routed internally to internal circuits 9 and 5 and outputs from the turn signal harness as circuits 442 and 445. 442 and 445 are then fed back to the sequential unit as well. Note at the sequential harness connector, 442 and 445 branch directly to the left inner (442) and right inner (445) taillights. You need to make sure that all 3 of these circuits are powered when the brakes are activated.

Coach Jack

…The brake lights and the emergency flashers share the same 15 amp circuit breaker. If they work, test the brake light switch to make sure the switch is working properly. > Note if you have recently converted your brakes from manual to power, you need to replace it with a power brake specific switch, > The 70 Cougar…

This is very true, few years ago when I experienced a similar problem with brake lights not working properly while everything else was OK, I solved the issue by replacing old manual brake light switch with new power brake light switch + I abraded all sockets and bulbs to ensure best possible contacts.