No fuel pressure!

Ok. I am stumped. 351 Cleveland engine. New fuel tank, new sender unit, new Carter M6882 pump.

The steel fuel line is original but I have flushed in both directions and it runs strong and clear under air pressure or vacuum.

5 gal of fresh fuel in the tank.

When I connect everything to the pump with system primed and crank the engine it gives a couple of good squirts of fuel and then ceases. No more fuel.

What else do I need to look at?

Did you compare it to the old one to make sure the arm is the same? And did you make sure the are went to the lower side of the eccentric?

Arm is identical, exact same model pump. I am inserting the arm pointing slightly downwards so it tilts up against the eccentric as I tighten the bolts.

I put the arm in a nice and worked the lever. Air blows out of the outlet side and if you hold your thumb over the outlet the vacuum holds the lever extended.

The inlet side doesn’t seem to do anything. Neither vacuum nor pressure. I suspect this is the problem.

1 Like

You might have somebody turn over the engine while you watch to see if the eccentric is working. It could have come loose. Also it is not impossible that the new pump is defective.