NOS Turn Signal Arm with Cruise Control

Thank you so much assisting me to figure this thing out. So far this what I figured out with my speed control.

1. On/off switch located near the radio had an issue as suspected. I removed it and pulled the switch apart. I removed the two snap clips on the ends. Inside reveled dirty contacts but once cleaned it checked out. Once the accessory ignition was switch on and the speed control switch pulled out/on. I finally could heard the on off relay click below the regulator assembly located on the right side of the engine compartment. Then pushing the on/off OFF switch in I could hear the relay click off. Problem solved but is was not clear for me as stated as expected in the manual.
  2. Servo assembly test. Did not hold vacuum. Mine failed vacuum. I removed it and took it apart, inspected the rubber, looked good and was not cracked. I cleaned it and reassembled it. No leaks under vacuum. Good to go.
  3. Removed and took a look in the regulator Assembly. It looked good for now. I will order a reproduction accelerator/resume steering switch. It tested bad easier. Then I will take the regulator assy out for a test drive as the manual suggests. Details to follow.

Good for you in opening up the regulator / transducer / speedostat / “brain box” to the speed control system ! It really isn’t as complicated as most people would surmise, when first looking at it.
If you need some help in ‘dissecting’ or cleaning it, as well as fabricating parts ( that have become worn and are no longer available ) have a look at this article. It’s in .pdf format so you can download and save it to you speed control resources file.

http://rrtechnical.info/SY/TSD4200/speedostat.pdf

Best of luck in getting it to work, you look more than up to the task !

Wow that is a great article. Thank you so much for the information and encouragement. After I purchase the turn signal accelerate/resume switch I will complete the road test and see what happens. My regulator looks very clean inside. There is a weird vacuum connection inline that at first I thought was a one way valve but it is not working if it is. I will take a picture of it later and post it. I really appreciate your responses and your time addressing my questions.

I know exactly which part you are talking about :

Here is the link to my question about it, and the responses I received. I don’t believe that anyone definitively identified it by part number or function. I wasn’t able to find it in the L-M MPC, and I looked through ALL of the 9000 section. I also looked at the Osborne assembly manuals - and it is pictured there, clearly. But no Ford basic part number was assigned to it. So it remains a mystery part !

https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/need-part-number-name-and-function-for-this-1969-speed-control-part/11737/1

Yes sir that is the weird part I am talking about. Looks like you asked the same question. You are on top of it. Thank you

1969 CA Cougar-
See the above post listed by gah for the answer to this part.

Since it is listed as a muffler, it could be for noise or it could supply enough damping to keep the cruise control system from resonating or oscillating.

Think about the sound your carburetor makes when the secondaries open up. The same vacuum pulses that make that sound exist in the vacuum source to your cruise control. They are even stronger at the manifold vacuum tree when the throttle plates are closed than when they are open.

I have an almost complete factory cruise control I plan to install on my 69. Does anyone know of a source for the speedometer cables?

With regards to the speedometer cables for 1969 Cougars ( with speed control ):

(1) the ‘upper’ cable ( from the back of the speedometer to the regulator- which the 1965-72 MPC refers to as “pump to speedo” ? )
is p/n C9ZZ-17260-D @ 56" in length. These occasionally pop up as NOS, but expect it to be very expensive. Your better option is a to get one custom fabricated - there are lots of sources for speedometer cables made to spec.
The speedometer housing end has the Ford white plastic squeeze clip, and the regulator end has a screw in fitting with a knurled edge, so it can be attached by hand.

(2) the ‘lower’ cable ( from the regulator to the transmission ) has an overall length of 77.10" with 0.150" O.D. core ( and you can use B9T-17262-D for the service core -if you find a good used cable out there ). This is the next to impossible / hard one to find, as it gets melted by its close proximity to the exhaust pipes. It has the transmission head ( where the smaller driven gear is attached by a clip ) on one end, and the regulator end / fitting is a hex head nut ( 3/4" ).

I have had custom cables made - which look good, except the outer diameters are smaller - seems to be that the modern outer cable sheath material is not the same diameter as what was available in the 1960 / '70’s.

I searched through all the speedometer cables in the MPC to find one that would be close, and found : C7ZZ-17260-J.

This cable was for 1967 4 sp. M/T and 1968 ( 8 cyl. 390 ) with 3 sp. M/T.

It is listed as having a length of 77 1/16" ( where 1/16" as a decimal equivalent = 0.0625 , so I’d say that’s as close as you might expect to get for the .10 " in the C9ZZ-D cable ! )

This cable also has the correct transmission / gear end and the 3/4" hex nut at the other.

It’s only drawbacks are :
(a) the gray color,
(b) an extra encircling “clip-collar” attached 19" from the transmission end, and
(c) the retaining clip ( which bolts into the transmission housing, is about 3/8" shorter, but the hole where the bolt goes through is in the same location, so it still should secure the cable to the transmission case.

I plan to experiment with scuffing up the C7ZZ-J cable and using some clear PVC plastic primer ( for paint adhesion then painting it black and getting the paint to ‘stick’ ! ). As well using a Dremel to CAREFULLY cut through the clip and remove it.

Hope this helps you.

BossElim69

Great layout the the speed control. Can you please add some pictures of the multiple page instructions I see of the steering column page on top? Curious if they maybe helpful information for all of us Speed Control guys? Mine is complete but I am trying to get it working. I am going to look at the regulator assembly this weekend. I have tested everything else in the system and appears to work after some TLC.

Thank you
Glenn

Here is a pdf of the 69 ford speed control training manual
1969 ford speed control traing manual.PDF (6.92 MB)

Thank you for the training manual. It has been most helpful.

gah,

You are so knowledgeable on the speed cables. Couple of questions:

1. How is the lower cable routed? Mine runs from the transmission up through a clip near the frame (turning forward) and follows the frame pass two 1/4 inch non threaded holes 1-1 1/2 apart in the frame about where it passes the close to the exhaust pipe(maybe holes are for a missing bracket???)
  2. Then travels up the frame and mine wraps to the left (fender) side of the steering rag joint. Then around the top of the power brake unit and over the rear of the engine/firewall to the speed control regulator assy on the passenger side.
  3. Looking at it? It appears it should go to the engine/right side of the rag joint and back to the regulator assy.
  4. If anyone has a picture of the bracket if there is one that holds the cable to the frame near the two holes in the frame? With or without speed control? Probably the same?

Pictures are not great. One is of the clip where a 90 degree turn at the frame from transmission. Other one is where it passes the exhaust and the two 1/4 inch holes at in the frame. Missing bracket not sure?

Thank you,
Glenn

1969 CA Cougar, gah,

I was wondering if you have tried using the C7ZZ-J as a lower cable. How well did it work?

Sir, pony car man

I am not sure what the cable you suggested is? I have the original cables. Mine has speed control with the cable cables split at the regulator assy. My question was the routing of the speedo cable from the transmission to the speedo assy? Or on a regular speed cable as they probably are the same. I am unsure if the routing and what the cable holders are? See pictures?

I am still trying to figure out my speed control? The electrical part has checked out? Relays and switch? I hav a second NOS regulator assy but it seems to have the same issue as the original. Still working on the problem! Close?

Please let me know more about the cable number you mention?

Thank you
Glenn

The cable is one gah referred to in post #28.

Are you having problems other than cable routing? Unfortunately I can’t help with routing as i will be going down the same road you are.