OIL pan/dipstick that works in a '67 Cougar with a late '80s 302 roller motor (incl serpentine)

I’ve recently swapped motors in my '67 Cougar (rod knock in the original motor). I have a circa '88 302 roller motor. I have the stock '67 oil pan.

Since I’m using the late 80’s pulleys/belt/PS Pump and alternator, the front dipstick will not work.

Since I have the '67 pan on the '93 block - the side hole in the engine block for the dipstick tube is blocked by the gasket rail on the '67 pan.

Yes, I can have someone customize my pan to hopefully weld a cutout in the rear portion of the pan so I can insert a dipstick, however I’d rather not have to do that.

Does anyone know of a Windsor motor car pan or aftermarket pan that will fit in these old cougars to enable the use of the later side mounted dipsticks?

There are multiple reasons that the block mount doesn’t work well in a '67 for your dipstick. Shock towers, manifolds, oil pan design - etc.

Your best bet is to plug the side block dipstick hole (there are many methods for doing this), and run a timing cover with the dipstick provision.

There are also some front sump pans with kickouts and baffles (like the early Shelby pans), and a few of those have a dipstick provision in the pan itself that you could use.

Trying to beat yourself up to get the awkward side mount dipstick to go with a front sump pan and the shock tower in the way? Well, if you insist. But it’s not something I’d put time into!

Stock pan and this : Easy button

1 Like

It does appear that the March mount for the alternator will let me re-use my 289 cover and purportedly the dipstick just fits in there. Even though I’ll put putting AC in the car in the Spring the alternator is in the same location.

1 Like

I’ll probably get grilled for this, but here it goes anyway.

I run a modified 302 serpentine belt system on a '94 351W. To get the engine to fit the chassis, I run a '74 front sump oil pan that I had from another 351W that I was originally going to build. I drilled out the timing cover of the '94 motor where the original dipstick location would be and placed the dipstick tube there. I did have to clearance the back of the alternator bracket to allow room for the tube to run behind it.

It’s been in the car this way since 1994 and have had ZERO issues with it. Over 30,000 miles.

It’s funny when I think about it. When building a hot rod one starts out with the idea that nothing is impossible and everything can be modified to fit. So you just create solutions as you go and if it doesn’t work you try something else. When doing a restomod it is like you have to find factory like solutions. I respect both builds. No one ever wrote down a set of rules for either one. We just seem to do this naturally. Am I alone in seeing this?

1 Like