Original tires

My reaction is that I dig it. Must be the same car as in this studio shot:

A company called Diamond Tire will custom cut sidewalls to your desired specs.

That is the standard FR70-14 tire standard on the 427 GT-E and the early XR7-G. It is not the tire shown on your Marti report because it is a radial tire. There are no reproductions available, but there is a Firestone / Coker F70-14 thin whitewall tire that looks similar if you squint while looking from 50 feet away: https://www.cokertire.com/f70-14-firestone-wide-oval-pin-white-stripe.html

Yes, actually, I have had Diamondback build some tires for this car. See photo.

Even if they are not original to the car, I think it is a neat looking tire, with at least some reference to the show cars, if not necessarily original equipment, and also being a Radial.

Not sure why my picture didn’t load, trying again.

BTW, these are whitewalls, it is just the blue protective coating from the factory that you are seeing.

Royce, my Marti Report states:

FR70X14. Wide Oval Radial Tires

Those ARE the Firestone brand, correct?

The only radial tire that size was BF Goodrich. That is an odd tire for a 428CJ, I would check with Jim Pinkerton to see if it is a mistake perhaps by Kevin. It was the standard size for 427 GT-E.

Your window sticker shows the radials in the GTE Package breakdown-this is typical for a 427 GTE. The 428CJ GTE has a line item for Wide Oval tires with an associated price after the GTE package breakdown. I believe that line item superscedes the GTE package-ie reflects an update to it. The confusing part is the C6 transmission which is included in the GTE package also has a line item with a cost maybe to reflect the cast iron R trans update. Look at the non-GTE 428CJ window sticker in a later reply it also has the tires shown like yours.

Does anyone have a GTE 428CJ original window sticker to compare against?

Here is my Marti reproduction window sticker. It lists belted Goodyear tires.

What doesn’t make all that much sense on the window sticker if you do the math is that if you bought a GTE 428CJ you got Polyglas Wide Ovals and had to pay for them (over and above GTE Package which included radials).

… and you also with a GTE 428CJ had to pay for the C6 trans since it was included in GTE 427 package. I figured with the 428CJ the C6 or 4 Spd was a no charge and included with package. The GTE Package cost was same for 428CJ and 427.

It might be worthwhile to see an original GTE 428CJ window stacker.

The rules at Mercury were different for the 428CJ because you could get either a 4 speed manual or a C6 automatic transmission. There is one window sticker out there for a 4 speed 428CJ GT-E. In any case, the F70-14 Goodyear raised white letter tires were a mandatory option (like “military intelligence” lol) as was an extra charge for either transmission on every 428CJ Cougar, GT-E or not.