Paint color

Could you, would you, please tell me if a “W” paint color was a custom color.
1969 428 Eliminator V-8 428 4V. Ram-air 335 hp. 10:61 cr.

If you are referring to a 1969 then “W” was an available color. It is a shade of yellow.
It was not available on an Eliminator in 1969. The yellow for an Eliminator was paint code “9” Bright Yellow.

The car is a sesquential series. Serial # 9F91R516789. Would that have included this muted yellow?
Thank you.

Yes

9F91R516789 is not an Eliminator, so it is possible that it was paint code “W”.

Do you have a Marti Report on your car? What does the paint color code say? W code Saxony Yellow is an available color on non - Eliminators. Maybe the car is not an Eliminator.

What is the interior code on ID plate, and does the car have High-back seats?

The owner emailed me at about the same time as the original posts.
It was definitely not an Eliminator from the factory.
The serial number is too low, the scheduled build date is too early (28K = October 28, 1968), the paint color (W) was not available on an Eliminator and the interior code (1A) is black standard low back buckets.
When her late husband bought it he believed it was an Eliminator.

It does have high back seats. I saw a youtube video of a 69 Elimimator, and mine has the exact same interior and dash board. The guy that repainted(1990) it even put the exact same stripping down the side with the Eliminator sticker! It took quite a bit of research, and only to be disappointed. Driving down the road nobody would ever know :wink: …except you guys, MAYBE!

It’s a factory 428 Cobra Jet with a 4 speed close ration manual transmission, so still a highly desirable Cougar.

• Phillip

The original color was a red/orange. I found the passenger’s side mirror in the trunk.

A right side mirror was not available for the 1969 Cougar so what you found is off some other car. Also in looking at your interior photo the door panel on the right side door is a 1970 decore style panel, not a 69 decore panel. I would suggest that you purchase a Marti report for the car as that is the best way to know exactly what you have. You are right though, most people would have no idea it is not a real Eliminator seeing it going down the road. And as Phillip has posted above it is still a factory R code car and that is a good thing. Plus it is a nice looking car.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

So these mirrors are not what came with the car in 69?

The driver’s side mirror looks correct. I would need to see the control knob to say if it is a 1969 or a 1970 mirror. Same for the blue mirror. Or is the blue mirror a right side? I cannot quite tell by the photo. On a 69 mirror the control knob will be in a straight line with the control cables. On a 70 mirror the knob will be at a 90 degree angle from the cables. That was done due to the different ways they came through the door panel. If the interior door panel on the left door matches the one on the right side then it is a good possibility that the yellow mirror is a 1970 mirror. If it is still a 1969 mirror then you most likely have a hard time operating the control knob due to the twist that would need to be put on it to install it into the door panel.

A passenger side sport mirror was not an available option for any 1969 Cougar. Mercury needed more time to figure out what mirror they had on hand would work. Or they would have needed to engineer a new base just for the Cougar. It turned out that the passenger sport mirror that they would use on the 1970-1971 Torino could be made to work on the 1970 Cougar. Since the doors are the same for the 1969-1970 Cougar many people retrofit that mirror onto their 1969 Cougar.

Look inside the base of the blue mirror and you should see a part number. Post that number and we will be able to tell you what it is from. The part number would be something like C9WB-… or perhaps D0OZ-…

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

The blue mirror was on the right side years ago
When Ed had it repainted they took it off true to form. The drivers side mirror kind of moves…but it doesn’t look to hooked up correctly.
I just ordered the marti report.

If you have trouble adjusting the left door mirror it most likely is due to it being the original 69 mirror and someone trying to install it into a 1970 door panel.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

I was going to say… Door Tag shows DSO 84.

Just thinking hypothetically here, but as a Ford Test Vehicle with a build date well before Eliminator production… Is it possible that this was an Eliminator test car done for magazines and / or promo pics? I mean, jeez, it even has the Eliminator rockers with the black tape and the dash block off plate - not things you usually see on a clone. I also find it interesting that the inside of the door appears to be bright yellow as well. That’s some attention to detail for building a clone.

Shep, do you know what changes were made to the car by Ed? Did he install the high back bucket seats and other Eliminator goodies? Perhaps he found an Eliminator to use as a donor car?