Pinstripe size for 1968 Cougar

I want to put the original painted on pin stripes on my son’s 1968 Cougar XR7. I was planning to order a pinstripe stencil for my 1968 Cougar from the Finesse pinstripe company. See https://www.finessepinstriping.com/. Since the stencil only comes in certain sizes, I am thinking that the closest match to original Cougar stripes is two 1/16 inch stripes, with a 1/8 inch space or gap. This is Stencil # F-19. Do you Cougar experts out there agree? Thanks, Scott

The gap needs to be more like 1/4". Last set I did I was able to order a roll of 3M pin stripe masking tape from my local automotive paint store.

I used 1/2" masking tape on the door gaps and 1/4" masking tape on the fender extensions to mimic the breaks in the factory pin striping. I laid out the stripes using the 3M tape, then pulled the area that gets painted. Then I masked off pretty much the whole car. Finally I sprayed on the stripes (yes I know the factory used a roller).
2005pinstripe3.JPG
2005pinstripe2.JPG
2005Pinstripe1.JPG

What I found on several original cars was 1/16" stripes with a 5/32" gap. That would be Finesse # F-42. Spacing from the body line is about 1/2", and the taped seams at the body gaps were 5/8".

I took a bunch of pictures recently, check out pages 2 and 3 of this thread: https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/location-east-coast-nos-and-used-cougar-parts/67/1

While this is what I was seeing on multiple examples, another member chimed in with his original red GT-E and it had different spacing, so I guess you have some flexibility in what you decide to do!

I was in on that discussion a few years ago and had Finesse make up what we felt was the consensus at the time, which was:
3/32 X 3/16 X 3/32

I though it looked about perfect, but my striper didn’t like the way the tape pulled. He did his own, and I honestly think his stripes themselves are too wide.

Original 1968 pin stripes for reference. Please do not post any photos of 1967 pin stripes here. Start a new thread about 1967 pin stripes if you need to.

Thanks Andrew! I agree, I like the thinner stripes…so I will take your recommendation and go with F42. thanks again!

I think the 67 pinstripes are thinner and wider apart. But I don’t have any dimensions to share.

Royce is right to point out that most of the cars I took pictures of in the other thread were 67’s, but one was a 68 with the same spacing as the 67’s. But now a couple people have chimed in with 68’s with closer spacing, so I can’t say for sure all 68’s were done the same.

Royce - in your top picture I’m not seeing the typical masking tape lines at the seam, in fact it looks like there’s a fuzzy edge as if they were sprayed on. Thoughts?

Looking back at the other thread, the pictures of the red 68 there look like the stripes were brushed on. The cars I was looking at here (mostly 67’s) all appeared to be rolled on. The pinstripe mystery continues.

Anyway Scott let us know how the stencil works out! I’m thinking of trying it on mine when the times comes.

Quote from my post - Finally I sprayed on the stripes (yes I know the factory used a roller). - End Quote

The factory used a roller, not a brush. A big template was applied after the seams were taped, then it was rolled on.

I meant the red car you posted.

Oh - it looked typical to me in person, perhaps the ends got softened by buffing and polishing over the past 50 years.

Sorry this is late, sideways, and dark, but it is of an original paint GT-E. Hope it might help a bit.

Here it is straightened.

Just got another example from John Benoit (thanks John) on an original paint '68 he has in his shop now. He says it corroborates the 1/16" stripes with 5/32" gap I was seeing on other cars. Not sure how to explain the narrower gap that Royce and others have found on their cars, maybe it’s a San Jose vs. Dearborn thing, or a mid year change in the technique, or something. Who knows.