Portable car ports, good or bad?

Hi. I own a 76 cougar, and have no garage. I also live in Massachusetts where the winters are pretty rough, cold temps, high winds, snow etc…can anyone out there tell me if a portable car port is a realistic option for storing my cat through the winter months. My main concern is if will withstand a winter storm. Any input or experience with these is appreciated

I don’t know what your wind in Minnesota is like, but here in Kansas, the question would not be “Will my car port blow away?” so much as “Will my car go with it, when the carport blows away?”

1 Like

I use to have a couple of the Cost-co canvas. Wind is a problem for them. They don’t weigh much and have broad sides. I lag bolted them to 20 foot long treated 4x4s and ran ratchet straps to what was stored in them. Here in the North Wet(Western Washington) it worked well. But a building is better.

1 Like

I have no idea how good this would work but worth a look.

1 Like

Another thing to consider is Snow Load ability. I don’t think the Costco type will withstand much more then maybe 2 inches.

1 Like

I have found they work pretty well. Make sure to put 4 mil plastic on the floor to keep moisture away. You do need to go out after a snowstorm to remove snow from the roof. This can be done by hitting the inside of the roof with your hand. The snow will slide off. take a close look at the specifications for any portable garage. There are different thicknesses for the cover. The thicker the better it will hold up.

Steve

1 Like

I have had tents and used shipping containers also. The tent needs to be secure and vented. Can flash rust anything metal within a season. Weight of snow or ice can rip thru tent. 20 foot containers are better. No problems except for local zoning with bad neighbors. A lean to is good with just car cover. Thats my 2 cents.

I live in Connecticut and have used Shelter Logic units over the years. The round top design sheds snow well but the A-frame style does not and needs to to shovelled off. I anchor mine by driving 4 ft long pipes into the ground and anchor the shed legs to the pipes. So far so good. Important to have the units level or they don’t handle the snow well. If your only going to use it a year or two, the standard cover thickness is fine. If you want longer use, go for the thicker materials. The plastic layer under the car is a good idea.

When I lived in NH, I looked at this when we came up one garage stall shy. A friend used one for his boat and he was happy with it. I ended up renting a garage since I only needed one year.

Im in the high desert in central California… the wind gets pretty crazy here. I purchased the Harbor Freight and is holding up pretty well. I have it bolted down to a concrete slab.

No.