power steering hoses

After 52 years, I am putting power steering back into the 1970 Eliminator. I am starting with all new, or rebuilt, components and I believe that I have everything now (once the pitman arm arrives) to assemble.

My first question deals with the control valve hoses. In the Chassis Assembly manual, it calls out 2 different part numbers for the hoses so there must be a subtle difference between the two. I have the Scott Drake hose pair and at first they look identical, After looking at them for several days now, I noticed that each hose seems to have a rose-colored tint to one of the end the fittings while the other end has a more golden-colored tint to the fitting. There are also different angles on the ends of the hoses (or is it just me).

So which one goes where and how do I tell the difference? I have the Scott Drake hose kit P/N C6OZ-3A714/7-AR.

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

I don’t know the answser to your question. Just wanted to make sure that when you start the car, don’t have your arm in the steering wheel.
If you get the hose’s to the power valve backwards the wheel goes crazey back & forth.

I don’t know the answser to your question. Just wanted to make sure that when you start the car, don’t have your arm in the steering wheel.
If you get the hose’s to the power valve backwards the wheel goes crazey back & forth.

Thanks! I’ve seen that very thing happen with my 67 Mustang and it is aftermarket conversion so no references there.

Never mind! I found the exact drawing on page 83 of the 1970 Cougar Chassis Assembly Manual! Duh!

I hope you have better luck with the Drake power steering hoses than I did. Mine ft a 13 MM metric wrench perfectly. A SAE 1/2" wrench was too small to fit the flats.

Same experience Royce had, and the lengths and angles weren’t quite right either. I tried to make them work, but the ends were under too much tension and leaked. Hopefully your experience will be better. If not, go with Blue Dot. Their hoses aren’t cheap, but they fit right and look factory.

Forgot to say mine would not quit leaking either. Put in Blue Dot hoses. No issues since.

I have not yet opened the Drake package of hoses…maybe return them.

I bought these from JCC and installed a couple of weeks ago. Finished my winter projects today which included most steering parts. Started her up today on the stands with no leaks so far. I let her idle with about a dozen lock to lock cycles and no leaks yet. Alignment of hoses went well. I found that if you start with one end of the hose almost tight you can rotate the hose. In my case it was obvious when I started with the hose backwards

Glad they are working for you! Maybe Pole Cat has a bit more of a svelte undercarriage than Calicat. :smiley:

Get lucky now and then. I did replace all of the seats.