POWER STEERING PUMP PULLEY AND BRACKET

I just purchased a 1967 mercury cougar. It wasn’t running when I bought and the previous owner only told me the power steering pump was removed. I got it running. Yay. But when I took it for a test drive the steering was like WTF?? Okay the pump is gone but what about the pulley and bracket? I ordered a power steering pump but none of the auto part stores have a pulley or bracket for it. Whats the deal? Where do I need to get the pulley and the bracket. Any suggestions? :crazy:

You’ll need to acquire those parts.

Welcome!

Okay now to business at hand. The bracket and pump are available from West Coast Classic Cougar, Kens Cougars and Johns Cougars. You will need to tell them the engine and approximate build date and if you have AC. You will also need a set of hoses and WCCC has three different options. I would go with the 390 style. The vendors can help you get the right parts for your car. Of if you find a parts car, power steering was very very common on Cougars so you may be able to pull what you need that way. Harbor Freight sells the tool you need to pull and replace the pulley.

Cougar parts vendors are listed on the Cougar Club of America’s website: http://www.cougarclub.org/cougar-links.htm

WCCC has done our hobby a huge service by building an online catalog of parts with pictures and, on many parts, explanations and advice. It is a nice research tool and, of course, you can buy stuff there too. http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/

Great! Yes i’ve been following WCC. I will give them a call! Thanks!!

Oh and its currently running a 289 3 speed tranny. This is a base model cougar. I’m kind of fine with keeping it stock at the moment. I’ll work performance later on down the road. But right now I just want to get this baby on the road running well with an excellent new coat.

My first cougar was a 289 3 speed manual with manual steering. While it kept my shoulders in shape, I was shocked when I drove a car with PS for the first time.

Well currently I can turn the wheel with my index finger there is no torque whatsoever with the missing power steering…. I just want to start with the steering assembly and see where it goes from there. BTW I bought a power steering pump from Oriellys but something tells me after looking at WCC website and other websites that this pump may not work with the pulley and bracket I need to order. Any thoughts panel?

What part number did you buy?

Well i’m going to change gears now… I talked to a shop that has an upgrade package on Steering. Have you guys upgraded the steering system you have or you running the same steering set-up the car came with. Well I can do this upgrade however it requires me to modify the equalizer bar for it to fit. I understand at this stage of the game with having a classic car its important to enjoy driving. Would you recommend I just go with upgrading rather than trying to find the original steering set up which probably will still not perform that great.

Here are some threads that may shed some light already discussed on this site. And here are some additional threads at MC.net. You will find hundreds more on the Mustang sites. Keep in mind without the pump in place the system is not pressurized which means you will have major play where the pitman arm meets the control valve.

Hey Don’ I’m not seeing any threads. I just watched the front suspension & Chassis vid. Super informative…I’d like to find the threads about other people’s experience with upgrading steering…I don’t doubt it makes it a totally different car. I much prefer to improve what I have than change it. I may be a “purist” like your friend you mention in the video. : )