Ranger in North America…. why no diesel? Asking for a “Friend”… (the rest of the planet)

Two years ago we ordered a Next Gen Ranger, I thought this would be the last Ute (what you call a Truck) we would order … intention is keeping it for 20-30 years and pass it down…

Having become a part of this community, I took notice of the commentary around what made a classic Cougar valuable today… this made a difference to how we ordered the Ranger…

On the farm and rural we need a real Ute. So forget the Raptor…. Can’t carry and can’t tow. Excluding Raptor, we picked the Hero model in the Hero Colour, as well as the hero V6 diesel. And the the various dealer fit options (Sahara bar, long range tank, bonnet decals)…. Hopefully it will pay off in 30 years plus :grinning:!

Anyway, been watching the US/Canada Ranger reviews, apart from American Engineers attempting to take the credit for the Ranger :thinking:… what is with the petrol motors only? Why no Diesel? The diesels work with how these cars should be used, lots of torque for 4wd and towing, good for range and economy… the V6 diesel in particular in ours tows the horse float loaded up to the full three and a half metric tonnes like a jet!

I am curious?

1 Like

Americans like big “Ute”s.
They’ll buy a big pickup in diesel just because they want one and not need it. Most people don’t like the smell or buying def, or the extra $1 per gallon.

The diesel engines are popular in Europe and Australia and NZ…not so much here. Same with manual transmissions.

I too wish more vehicles would come with diesels instead we are seeing a trend of small displacement engines with turbos instead.

Most people here that own diesels never use the truck hard enough to even justify the diesel engine thats under the hood. They just want the most expensive optioned truck you can buy to show it off with big lifts and tires.

However I do discourage buying a diesel to those that simply want one and not need it. If they have no plans to tow or haul heavy enough to justify the horsepower of a diesel then it’s best to avoid the cost and go with a gasser. Modern day emissions requirements on diesels really add a ton of cost to the initial purchase and overall expense to maintain. Everything is typically more expensive to service from an oil change to a larger repair. Parts and labor are substantially more expensive compared to the same vehicle with a gas engine.

2 Likes

Ok, Diesel may be more expensive in the US, may be part of it. Although this must be some sort of structural government thing?

Everywhere else diesel is comparable to mid or premium gasoline. So no price difference unles comparing to “regular” $hiite fuel.

I wasn’t saying diesel should be the volume engine in the US. However for people that use their Ute in anger the powerstroke 3litre turbo diesel is the ducks nuts…. Anyhow, it is not my job to convince you, :sunglasses: I just don’t get why that engine is not an option that is offered in a rugged “Wildtrak” style variant (a Diesel Tremor type thing).

We have the big three here (Silverado, Rams, F150) only as petrol V8 Remanufactured RHD conversion. And sure they can tow up to 9920 pounds (with a special tow kit 7720 otherwise), but with a terrible payload . All the midsized Utes in Oz tow 7720 , but they legally carry around 600 pounds more in the bed. Ranger can carry 970 odd kilos, F150 630 odd kilos (including passengers) …. 5 up hefty Ozzies, Americans or Canadians and you have used up 500 of those kilos…. Although the three across the back would be more comfortable in the 150!

I guess we use our mid utes capabilities and capacities harder in lieu of bigger trucks.

Took a year from order for ours to turn up, we have had it for a year… the YouTube algorithm started putting US reviews in front of me (legacy of historic research I am guessing) it is amazing the difference in spec and specifications for the same truck.

Well good luck with that. I have a 2017 F250 with the diesel that I use to tow my 15,000 LB (with a Cougar inside) 22’ enclosed trailer. Your truck would not come close to towing my rig.

1 Like

Not attempting to compete with the even bigger US trucks :slight_smile: F250 or 350 or fifth wheeler’s, and the big three can tow more as stated ….

Just wondering why in a global midsize truck , North America (only) doesn’t even offer the most useful motor for people regularly operating near max gross and combination mass.

Forget I asked, happy for this topic to die :sunglasses:

Best guess… Here in the US, if someone’s buying a truck for towing/hauling they’re going to get a 3/4 or 1-ton diesel (F250/350). The market for the small trucks is generally for people who probably don’t really plan to use them as a truck. They want a “truck” but don’t want something as big as a full size. They probably want something that sits higher than a car, that “looks cooler”. And maybe they want the bed in case they want to pick up a sheet of plywood, or something else that wouldn’t easily fit in a car.

Maybe to put it another way, there’s sort of two “truck” markets here in the US, there are people who need a truck for their jobs/work, and then there are the people who want truck features (bed, 4WD, higher seating, etc) but for aesthetic/recreational uses. The former group (which includes folks who “recreationally” have to haul stuff) get full size trucks, usually diesel. The later are the ones who get the compact pickups, or the luxury full size, or like mentioned above, just get the most expensive thing with the lift kit, just because.

I mean I’m unashamedly in the later category. I got my first F150 back in 2004, mainly because at that time the Rangers were tiny, way too small to be comfortable in. Now I’ve got a '14 Raptor because, well, they’re awesome. The bed’s handy for hauling wood and stuff for projects, and I actually towed a rented mini-excavator with it, but I just don’t use it for any serious hauling or towing, so a diesel really doesn’t make any sense for me.

I’m allergic to diesel so the fewer on the road the better!

The reason smaller trucks in the us don’t come with diesels is strictly the cost of the emission systems that are required to be installed by the epa. The emission reductions systems cost thousands of dollars per unit. There are three separate catalytic reductions that take place in the us: 1) diesel oxidation (hc), 2) selective catalyst (nox), 3) dpf which is regenerative burning of soot. This would make a Ranger cost prohibitive to own as a catalyst system for a super duty is 7-10k