Replacing fuel pump

Need to replace the fuel pump in my 1969 Cougar. Is this a difficult task? Anybody have any tips or guidelines to follow?

Not to bad of a job if you don’t have power steering, if you do , then you will have to get it out of the way. Leave the hoses hooked up and remove adjustment bolts and lay the pump to one side.

As mentioned it is pretty easy task.

The only obstacle besides power steering and air conditioning, is the possibility that the cam eccentric may be on the high side when you try to reinstall.

If the cam isn’t lined up so the new pump can go in without resistance you can just crank the engine a little and get it where it needs to be.

Two words…Line Wrenches. Easy swap from underneath(no lift needed),…Two bolts, two lines and a gasket. Nothing special to do…about 1/2 hr. tops. When you go to install, the pump will want to stick out a little from tension on the pump arm spring…just press the pump toward the mounting and hand install the bolts to get them started…then tighten down.

By line wrenches you mean flare wrenches, yes?

I’ve known them as line wrenches http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_25980981-P_x_x?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Google-_-enhancedRM-_-25980981&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=25980981&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}&gclid=COb04urTnbQCFYs7Mgody3IAaQ#utm_source=acq&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=enhancedrm&utm_content=25980981 …but, they are also called flare wrenches. A must have for fuel and brake line work!

I wish that whoever did the power steering work on my car before I bought it knew about that. Although I guess the proper wrenches wouldn’t have stopped them from cross-threading the line into the control valve.

Good to know that the wrenches have two different names. Thanks for clarifying!!

Just as an FYI. I had to replace the fuel pump on my 67 289 w/ AC and PS a few months ago. I’d purchased a pump from AutoZone, and it looked like I’d have to remove the AC compressor and PS pump in order to install this particular fuel pump. There was something about the ‘shoulders’ where the two bolts went through that was different. I ended up with a different fuel pump from NAPA with the correct ‘bolt shoulders’ that allowed me to install it without removing any components. The AutoZone part was an Airtex #4193, don’t buy that one!

Glad to find this old topic as this replacement is next in my troubleshooting list.
I watched 2 youtube videos on Mustang mechanical pumps. one guy greased the pump arm, the other did not. Thoughts?