Replacing roofskin on a sunroof car (1968)

So I am faced with the possibility of having to put a new roof skin on my 68 Hertz G project car. I am no slouch at metal work, but it would be nice to see pics of it being done before or at least hear about some tips and tricks that people used.

I think the hardest part will be to create the hem at the rear including the rounded corners.

West Coast Classic Cougar did a video on this if you check their YouTube channel.

I had one done for a member on his 68 Hertz G.

I’ll look see for pics, but maybe Scott has some?

I saw the video, it’s just on roof skin replacement. The issue here is my car is a sunroof car and the cutout for it is complex, especially at the rear of the opening as it is hemmed with radiuses in the corner.

You may already know this and if not it may not help - but originally there was a huge crimping apparat ice that ASC used.

And yes, they got the model name wrong in the article :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I just saw this the other day for the first time. thanks for posting it.

I like how the first step is the same thing you do to install a sink in a new counter top…

Not sure if you are looking to remove the sunroof assembly and re-insert it into another skin, but I was able to find a complete original roof with a factory sunroof in it and was able to replace mine as a unit. It was not very hard. Just the time to drill out the spot welds. Hopefully these pics show up.

Ideally I would like to do what you did. In the event I can’t get a sunroof clip, I will need to buy a repo roof skin and cut it and shape it to fit my sunroof.