Search Function, or lack thereof...

Ok, this has happened to me a few times now. I put in a set of words to search for, in this case “Seat Track”, because I’m looking for info on proper cleaning and lube for the seat track.

Now when the search pops up it says “ignored: seat”. So I only have search results for “track”, most of which have nothing to do with the seat track.
When I them put “seat” in the field for “search these results”, it does not refine the results. It gives the exact same results as “track”, and still has “track” highlighted.

When I try to search for just “Seat”, it says “The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: seat.”

This makes it very difficult to search for “Seat Track” :-/

This is great feedback! I will call this to Jay’s attention and see if we can modify search parameters toile it work better.

Thanks! At first I thought I was just not “searching correctly”, but I kept running into that problem so I figured I’d better say something.

Sorry it took so long to get to this.

You definitely found a problem with the Search function. I changed the property for a “common” word so that it must appear in 50% of the posts in order to be judged “common” instead of the default, which was 5%, and re-created the index.

A search for “seat track” (in quotes), +seat +track, or seat track (no quotes) all gave me 31 results, some of which were not relevant because they included posts that included the words “seat” and “track” but not “seat track” together.

So I switched us to a full-text database search rather than the native search function, re-created the index, and it seems to be working much better.

Now when I search for “seat track” in quotes, it gives me only three matches, all of which include the search terms together, and when I search without quotes I get all 31 results as before. Now you’ve got some control over your results, and you don’t get that “too common” error.

Sweet! Thanks Jay!

Allergic to cats ~ LOL! :slight_smile: