Share Stories? How about this car

Dad is not doing well. Every time I ask him about the car he had in the early 70s the story changes. I would like more information on this car especially if it is one of a kind like he said. Anyways it was BAD ASS. Us kids would spend all day long cleaning and waxing the car just to get a ride and a DQ afterwards.

Dad said a local guy in St Paul MN pick up the car and tried to drag race it only to blow out the rear end or transmission.

Years later (80’s) he said he saw it at a small Ford dealership in Little Falls MN. The dealership owner said he wouldn’t sell it because it was “priceless”

Any ideas on the car? My brother and I would like to at least get the year and engine down for our memories at dad’s is going.

Peace and love and THANK YOU!

Dad said:
1970 Mercury Cougar XR7
428 CJ
RAM Air is what I remember on the air cleaner, but hey I was 12.
Eliminator Package?

Probably weren’t many red with black 1970 428 RA XR7 convertibles delivered to Minneapolis/ST.Paul

If there was only one, the car is alive and well in Queensland Australia. It is now painted black

If you have the Vin it would be easier to confirm if it is the same one

I bet Scott Taylor could help, he runs the CJ registry. Yes, it is one of one. Based on the pictures it is 1 970 xr7 convertible with black leather interior, a 428 Cobra Jet Ram Air Engine and most likely a C6 Automatic transmission. Looks also to have the protection package that included door edge guards, front bumper guards and most likely Cougar logo floor mats as seen here.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/floor-mats-black-carpet-walking-cat-logo-new-1967-1973-mercury-cougar-clone.html?sessionthemeid=26

The Minnetonka area where that dealer was would be considered the boonies back then. Very unusual car to be ordered for that area, especially considering it is a convertible with A/C.