Shoulder belt mounting 1968

adding a set of 3 point belts to my 68… The driver’s side has a threaded insert in the hole but the passenger side is just a hole in the sheet metal… is this an insert that can be obtained someplace and stuck in there? I checked with WCCC and he said they don’t have it, and suggested I ask around here. Can’t imagine why I only have one… doesn’t look like it was ever there… it is a base car with no shoulder belts but it’s very weird to have only one… Suggestions?

Are you sure its an insert? I believe those holes are tapped if using a shoulder belt. they would be naturally untapped without the shoulder belts unless installed previously.

this is a google image, its a mustang, but same “insert” as what I’m looking at… passenger side doesn’t have that lip around the hole and no threads and is appears just like the hole forward of the circled hole in this pic…

Interesting. Mine had it just like your pictures but on both sides. It was untapped but I did not have shoulder belts.

I have come across stuff like that on modern vehicles and the attachment bolt just gets impacted into the hole as its designed to cut threads as it goes in. The bolt is shaped in such a way it taps the hole as it goes in. I would not suggest that here and would use an actual tap and do it by hand.

what i noticed yesterday when i was in it, though, is the hole on the pass side is just in the sheet metal… theres nothing inside to tap… the driver’s side one appears to have a threaded something in there… but nothing to tap on pass side. might just go back wiht lap belts but i have a set of shoulder belts i’d rather use…

It’s a clip nut. AMK sells them.

ok perfect. lemme look

updating for anyone else or for future… over on the mustang forums, there’s a couple of threads that stated they had a welded in nut or threaded insert on one side but not the other as well. thats what the case is with mine… december 67 build on mine…

OK, yet another question. Since Mine doesnt have the proper hardware on one side, what about mounting the shoulder straps like they are doing on the mustang convertible retrofits? They mount them on the rear side panel by the back seat… it would cut down on flapping in the wind with windows down (non ac car)… since ive got do make some sort of mount anyway… thoughts?

WCCC rep said they used to have this clip in piece with the threaded mount for 67’s but that havent had one in years… one of those would work for the stock location if someone knew where to track one down

Why not use a riv-nut? You would need a really setting tool but it would be like factory.

1 Like

A rivnut isn’t what the factory did on the RH side but it would work. Or you could just buy the right part from AMK.

I’m looking all over their site and its overwhelming lo… got an idea what to look for?

This one:
Clip nut for shoulder harness