Some insight on the 68 W code 427

I just found this video and thought others might like it.

I don’t know how accurate this is, but it does follow a lot of things I have noted in shop manuals and other Ford publications.

1 Like

I listened to the video and Adrian makes several mistakes. For example he repeatedly states that the images shown are actually of the 410 HP 427 installed in 1967 - they are not. Rather the images clearly show a 1968 version with a completely different smog system, different fuel pump - and the LH exhaust manifold is for a 1967 Fairlane / Torino application. The exhaust manifold is not compatible with Mustang / Cougar. Also he mentions the “fuel pump with integral filter” - the fuel filter was mounted to the carburetor in 1968.

1 Like

In spite of the errors, it’s an interesting video. Was the 68 W code 427 a side-oiler, or was that just the race engines?

All of the '68 engines are side oilers. In fact every 427 since 1966 model year intended for automotive use is a side oiler from 1966 model year - end of production in 1974. Many 427 blocks were cast after car production ended with the 1968 model year.

1 Like