Some interesting original '68 underbody mark photos

BAust, we need to dig around for the build sheet. I bet it is in the car somewhere. I have a couple other build sheets to compare to.

You’ll find allot of Dearborn cars from 68-70 marked with an “8” if they had standard (non big block and non 6 cylinder) on the front or most often the battery box area. The mark is (from the ones I’ve seen) in white crayon (prem type) or even spray can) Sometimes (would have to review pictures and notes for what and when ) a line through the “8” Not sure what workers the mark was for just that it was there :wink:

No, it has 2.75 code 1. The only code I could line up with an 8 in it is the DSO 84 Home office reserve.

S code car 390-4v and the mark is done in chalk. It also has the mark on the outside of the battery tray apron done in a form of a C with two lines in it.

In order to ID all the different paint marks on the driveshafts and what application they go to. You would need the build sheets from all the various Cougar drivetrains. Then match up the paint marks with the trans/engine and rear end. I don’t have all that information. Might want to start another thread to not high jack Aust thread and ask for build sheets with the drivetrain information. sometimes it’s hard to make out what color they are refering to on the build sheet.

For example this is a 1970 Boss 302 Eliminator with 4 spd trans and 9"rear.
Driveshaft: Light blue/Tan/White
Front springs: Gold/Tan
rear springs: 2 violet/2yellow.