'Summer of 69' Classic Cougar 50th Anniversary Show

CATS Classic Cougar Club is pleased to announce that registration is now open for all members & non-members to join us at the ‘Summer of 69’ Classic Cougar 50th Anniversary Show in Auburn, Indiana, June 21st-22nd 2019. We will be celebrating the 69 model year, but all Cougars are invited to join us for an exciting weekend that includes a Cougar Cruise, Award Banquet Dinner & Celebration and an Anniversary Show, where we are working hard to get 100 Cougars to attend! Bring your friends and family - make this a Summer to remember!

Event Registration, information, including lodging and sponsorship opportunities, can be found online here: https://www.catsccc.com/2019-events

We look forward to welcoming you this Summer to Auburn, Indiana!

Sounds like a good one, I plan to attend.

Happy new year! We can now can officially start the celebration of the 69 Mercury Cougar. Big changes were happening at Mercury to keep the Cougar fresh and the buying public interested in the new body style of the Cougar. At first look you noticed the new horizontal grill bars and the sweeping side body line. The Cougar gained some both in length and width and a bunch of new offerings were now available for the Cougar. The first big news was the addition of the convertible model with both standard & XR7 trim. Later in the year the performance side of the Cougar got a boost with the introduction of the Eliminator. Still lots of different trims package to pick from to make the 69 Cougar your own. The newly offered “Sport Special Value package “ A,B,C,D. Big changes were happening under the hood of the Cougar. Gone from the option list was the 289, 302 and the 427 which ended mid model year in 1968. But, fear not as some exciting replacement engines were added. The base motor was now the new 351w. Still available were the 390 and the 428CJ that was introduced mid-year in 1968. Mid-year 69 production added the Eliminator option and found a home for the Trams Am motor the Boss 302 only available in the Eliminator. Early documents referred to it as the 302 H.O. (high output) engine. The Cougar Trans AM effort was ended as it was too much competition for the Mustang. The drag strip crowd found Dyno Don Nicholson & Fast Eddie Shartman tearing up the drag strips with the Boss 429 engines that Don later replaced with a 427 SOHC motor.

With all the exciting offerings happening with the Cougar for 1969 it’s time for the CATS club & CCOA to celebrate its 50th anniversary in Auburn IN on June 21,22 2019. We want all Cougar years to participate in the celebration with the highlight being the 69 model year. Attached is a registration page for the show which guides you to the online web site to get registered, or you have the option to send it in by mail. The plans are getting close to being finalized. We haven’t got everything together yet for the Saturday evening dinner/awards banquet with a special guest speaker. Tickets for that will be offered separate at a later date.

Host Hotel information:
The host hotel will be the Baymont Inn Auburn, Indiana. A block of rooms are set aside at a rate of $129.99 + tax and fees. When calling to make reservations state that you are with the “CATS Classic Cougar club”. If you have any trouble making the reservation. Request to speak with Sean Victor.

Baymont Inn & suits
306 Touring Drive
Auburn, IN 46706
Reservation: 260-920-1900
E-mail: baymont10611@gmail.com
1969 PDF Registration Form.pdf (664 KB)

Every registered attendee at the ‘Summer of 69’ Classic Cougar 50th Anniversary Show in Auburn, IN. will be receiving this limited edition keychain! Come celebrate this important milestone with us June 21-22. Register online at:

Our official ‘Summer of 69’ show flyer is here, and we think it is Groovy, Boss, Funky & Out of Sight! Now that you are Hip on where to be this Summer, put on your best Threads and register to join us with your Cool Cat for the 50th Anniversary Show in Auburn, IN.

Groovy

The keychains came out real nice - thanks Brian and Scott!

• Phillip

The bottle opener is for soda pop right?

1969 muti-tool. Works on beer & coke :wink:

I’m taking you back to 1969 you’re sipping on a Coke and looking at the newest Car Craft magazine. When you get to the back is a full page ad “ You can’t buy this car anywhere, but you may win it!”. A nice artist rendering of the Super Cat, Coca Cola thirst Eliminator engineered by Dyno Don Nickolson as the grand prize. Also, you could win one of the four other Eliminators to be giving away. One of the 4 in competition blue is known to the Eliminator registry. Maybe you would get lucky and win one of the 50 Lear jet stereo console to install in you Cougar. Unfortunately, I’m not that lucky. If I would have entered the best I would have gotten was a Thirst Eliminator card to receive ten Cokes for the price of five, and I would’ve had to purchased that. If you were visiting one of the national sponsored drag-strips back in 69 like Irwindale drag way in California. You would gotten to see Dyno Don racing his Boss 429 Eliminator powered by a 427 SOHC engine. Sitting in the Coke display booth would have been the Super Cat. As your sitting in the stands dreaming about winning. Dyno Don pulls up to the Christmas tree and does a nice smokey burnout and runs Super Cat down the quarter mile.
Attending the 50th anniversary of the 69 Cougar in Auburn Indiana on June 21-22 you’ll get the see the “Super Cat” on display Saturday during the Cougar show in downtown Auburn. Not only will Super Cat be there it’s partner in crime Dyno Don’s Boss 429 Eliminator will be displayed with Super Cat. It’s the first time these two iconic Cougar have been re-united since 1969. To date we have 30 Cougars registered and it’s time to enter your Cougar for the show. . Go to our web page https://www.catsccc.com/2019-events and sign up today. All Cougar years are encouraged to attend. Don’t forget the awards dinner tickets at the Auburn, Cord Duesenberg museum that will include guess speaker Randy Hernandez covering the career of his father Fran Hernandez.

1969-Coke-Coca-Cola-Super-Cat-race-car.jpg

The event t-shirts for the 50th Anniversary Show in Auburn, IN. arrived today featuring the 1969 Dyno Don Boss 429 on the back! Tires burning & exhaust howling - be one of the first to purchase these collector shirts by registering your Cougar for the show, as they are first being sold to participants on site! Limited quantity available and once they are gone, they are gone…

Register at https://www.catsccc.com/2019-events

Just got this e-mail from Mark kulwik:

I had lunch with Randy Hernandez the other day.
He has some great stories to tell about the Lincoln/Mercury versus Ford racing rivalry at our banquet.

The 1969 Cougar 50th show in Auburn Indiana is only a month away! If you haven’t bought your dinner tickets yet don’t delay any longer. We will be shutting down the dinner tickets on June 7 to give the caterer the final number of guests. You can buy the dinner tickets online at: https://www.catsccc.com/2019-events CATS has the cruise route for Friday June 21 all planned. We originally were planning on going to the covered bridge and pictures. But, the bridge and park is closed down and no repairs or plan to re-open. So, we had to change plans a little. We will be leaving the host hotel and cruising to the Windmill museum for our first stop. https://www.midamericawindmillmuseum.org/ Cost to enter the museum for cruise participants is $4.00 a person, or you can hang out in the parking lot if you’re not interested in going in the museum. After spending some time at the museum we will continue on to Shipshewana where we will be greeted by the chamber of commerce with a welcome packet. This will be our lunch destination and you can enjoy the local shops. The return trip will be up to you. We can meet in smaller groups to return or return on your own. That way you’re not rushed to leave and can pick your own return route. All parking lots are large and open with plenty of room. The route is paved country back roads with not much traffic. You have to be mindful of the Amish traveling the roads. You can view the map and instructions here: https://www.catsccc.com/2019-events go to Friday cruise map & instructions.
Don’t forget our Friday evening “summer of 69” themed party at the host hotel. Also for those of you that will be in Auburn Thursday evening. They’re having a local cruise in downtown Auburn that evening you can participate in. https://dekalbchamberpartnership.com/events/cruise-ins

Bring out you Cougar and I’ll see you in Auburn.

Hello All,

Thought I would expound upon Brian’s cruise discussion.

When setting up the Friday cruise and finding the covered bridge, and adjacent park, closed, I found the Windmill Museum. It is on the route and I was skeptical. But I went in to see what they had and was surprised at the interest it created in me. I have never been up close to these windmills which are of the farm variety. It is interesting to see how they work and is a short walk through there. There are photo opportunities inside where you can take your cougar in by the outdoor windmills. The parking lot is huge and those not wanting to go in can chill as Brian noted (bring your Frisbee or hakie sack). We will be about an hour.

Shipshewana has photo opportunities as well and is our lunch destination. The welcome packet does have some generous coupons for lunch and shopping as well. We are allowing a leisure return so everyone can have their time in Shipshewana as needed. Upon our return in the evening we have the 69 themed party… Dude.

Hope to see you in Auburn!

Gary Hill, Trustee
CATS Classic Cougar Club

Final reminder if you need dinner tickets for the 1969 Cougar 50th show in Auburn Indiana don’t delay any longer. We will be shutting down the dinner tickets tomorrow! on June 7 to give the caterer the final number of guests. You can buy the dinner tickets online at: https://www.catsccc.com/2019-events

My wife and I are very dissapointed that we won’t be able to attend this event. Her health woes have been a burden on us this year. Anyway, we are proud to help sponsor this showing and hope all that attend have a spectacular time. Save us a key chain. :thumbup:

Sorry to hear this Brett. Hope Julia get feeling better.

The show made mention on the Hemmings Blog today.

Here are some good pictures of the show in Auburn. Taken by one of the NECO owners.

Part I: https://imgur.com/a/IgOyKyv

Part 2: https://imgur.com/a/ZyyH0qd

Looks like it was a great day. Really wished I could have made it. How many Cougars?

Saturday turned out to be a very nice day. I enjoyed meeting and talking with many of the fellow hobbyist at the event.
Great to put faces with names and user ID’s. The CATS Club crew did a great job in Auburn. :thumbup: