tachometer short ??

Hi,
I`m from Canada and just joined the site. It looks very informative and great.
I have a question about my 1969 Cougar XR7.
I’m in the middle of beginning to remove the dash in order to replace the heater core in the air conditioning box. Does anybody have tips so I don’t wreck more than I fix ? Also I started the car to move it to the shop and every time it started I let go of the key and it just shuts the engine off. I’ve traced the problem to the tachometer in the dash I think that’s causing the issue. I thought it was the ignition switch and changed it but that didn’t work and while reinstalling the switch the outside of the switch sparked against the dash and was live for some reason. I removed the dash and unplugged the tachometer and jumpered the connection together and the car starts and runs fine. Whenever I plug the tachometer back in the car goes back to starting and as soon as you let go of the key the engine stops. My question is … Does anyone know if a bad tach can do this and if so does anyone have one to sell or do I send my in to get rebuilt?

Thanks
Dave

Classic symptoms of a bad tach. Go to Rocketman’s Cougar Innovations, rccinnovations.com strait shooter and can exchange your existing. I also think he can rebuild existing or convert to a three wire to eliminate the tach from that circuit. I changed mine to three wire and am very pleased.

Welcome Dave to the forum!

If you haven’t done so already, you will also want to watch the following video on YouTube on Heater Core Replacement, done by Don Rush at WCCC: https://youtu.be/SubvM762z0g

Please post some pics of your ride. I, too, have a 69 XR7.

Again, welcome!

Kind Regards

Hey …

Thanks for the info . The other reason the dash is coming apart is the leaky heater core. Quite a job by the looks of it but no problem and I’ll keep the video handy for sure. I’ll post pics in a bit when I figure out how and when I get a chance ha.
Thanks again and I’ll post how I made out in a few weeks.
Dave

Welcome to the Classic Cougar Community Dave. Here is a link on how to post pictures on the Classic Cougar Community forum: https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/howto-post-images-in-the-forum/86/1
Steven