The December 2017 Ride of the Month is Don Stratemeyer's '69 XR-7 Convertible 428 SCJ 4 speed

Don Stratemeyer is a car guy. Most of us would trade a body part or two to own just one of the cars that have passed through his hands. Today he is retired, but he made his living running his own auto parts store and managing them for others. He lives in southern California and has two grown daughters and two grandchildren.

Twelve Thousand Miles, 1/4 mile at a time…

Sometimes even the simplest thing can change the direction of your life. For Don, it was the purchase of an AMT 1967 model Cougar kit. Once the bug bites…

Don tells us it all began in earnest like this; "I purchased a new 1968 Lime Frost F code standard with deluxe interior, disc brakes and AC. I put 36K miles on it in 6 months and then traded it for a 1968 390 4 speed Javelin that was heavily modified by the AMC dealership. My next step up was way to the top, when in 1970 I purchased a used 427 XR7/GTE with17k miles on it for $1750. This was a Nordic Blue over dark blue leather car with a white vinyl top. In addition I had also acquired a 1968 GT500KR convertible 4 speed, a 1967 GT500 4 speed and a 1950 Mercury 4 door.

In 1984 a divorce forced the sale of all of the cars. “By today’s standards I pretty much gave away all four cars. The 68 Shelby bringing the most at $1450 and the GTE $850.” Don we sure wish we had known you back then!

The next two decades were spent collecting and restoring MOPARS. Don had not forgotten his true love and had searched for years to find another GT-E. He came close a couple of times, barely missing out on two occasions. Then in 2003, through new internet connections he came into contact with Jim Pinkerton the GT-E registrar and with his help bought a Wellington Blue GT-E.

But why stop there? Don tells us what happened next; “Using the net I also discovered the San Diego Cougar club and found out they had their annual show coming up. Upon attending that show I saw a stunning white 12K mile 428scj 4 speed XR7 convertible. I fell in love immediately and told the owner should he decide to sell give me a call. A few weeks later the phone rang and it was the the big cats owner and he was ready to sell or trade. He was interested in MOPARS so I invited him to come and see if there was one of mine that interested him. The only MOPAR he was interested in was my 44k mile 1970 426 hemi Challenger R/T. After some discussion a deal was reached where I would get the SCJ Cougar and a wad of cash and he would get my Hemi car.”

“The car it’s self was ordered new by an east coast drag racer named Eddie Merkel. It was campaigned both as a 4 speed and an automatic. The team color was black so for a time the car was painted black. The Merkel family is not very forthcoming with much in the way of photos or time-slips.”

"I have since sold all the MOPARS and replaced them with Ford and Mercury products with the exception on a lone AMC Javelin and my two dodge trucks. I have now 4 cougars. In addition to the SCJ Convertible, I have the GT-E, a Wellington blue XR7-G, a 69 XR-7 390 4 speed with factory sunroof. Two other interesting Mercurys I have picked up are a 29K mile 69 Cyclone CJ 4 speed and a 68 Cyclone GT that was a factor show unit.

The SCJ Cougar convertible was so nice that Don really didn’t have to do much. “I Replaced the carpet with correct aqua and added an aqua boot, Mechanically I sourced a correct carb fuel line. I also had to replace the rear diff. yoke as the one in the car was too short causing driveshaft vibration. This having been installed when the 4.30DL pumpkin was replaced with a 3.50TL by the prior owner. I did receive the 4.30 pumpkin with the car an will be reinstalling it in the future.”

The author got a chance to see Don’s Cougar at the Cypress California SoCal Cougar Club CCOA 50th Anniversary event. I have to admit that if I had the chance, I would drive it like I stole it… because I would definitely steal this car! I am sure that Don keeps the keys in a very safe place. You might get a chance to see this incredibly rare Cougar if you attend shows in the Southern California area. Don tells us; “I have attended several car shows with the SCJ Convertible including several national Cougar shows as well as being in the special display area at the Fab Fords show. The car always seems to draw plenty of attention. From those that think it’s really neat to those that claim they never built one.”

Well they did build one. Exactly one. This is the only XR-7 Convertible SCJ 4 speed with the 4.30 Detroit Locker.

Very cool and Congrat’s Don! Interestingly, I used to work at a garage about 1 mile north of Irwin LM and I bought a Capri RS hood scoop there that I cut the front out of (so it was functional) and installed on “Cleveland Rocks”, my '70 HT from back in the day. But, I digress! Congrat’s again Don!

Very Cool Cat, congratulations!!!

Great car! Congratulations!

Congratulations Don that is one beautiful Cougar. The rest of your Cougar’s and collection are pretty nice by anyone’s standard as well.
Steven

Gorgeous cars! Love it!

Awesome car, Don! Congrats on Ride of the Month!

Great Cougar Don. Understated Muscle. Love it.