The long voyage of the family boat

Besides working on my houses, the Cougar, and working offshore half the year, here is the other project that takes up my time. It is the family boat that my dad, brother, and myself all have shares in it. It is a 40ft fibergalss Lafitte skiff that was used for shrimping with skimmer nets in the shallow bayous in southeast Louisiana.

We bought the boat with a with an inline 6 Isuzu diesel in it that worked, but not well enough. With the boat loaded down, it was REALLY slow.

So we put it up in the shipyard, cleaned the couple thousand pounds of barnacles off the hull, painted the hull, put a new prop on it, and dropped in a 8V71 Turbo detroit diesel rated for 400HP at 2400 RPM. Here are some of the pics from that adventure:

By bigredtruck at 2012-04-04

After that, we used the boat with the plain steel rigging it had on it for a while, but after looking at all the other boats around with nice aluminum rigging, we decided to build our own, which came out pretty nice if I do say so myself:

About a month after all of that is done, it is August 2005. Hurricane Katrina decides to blow through. The boat is in protected water, has plenty of extra slack in the lines, and has about 100ft of heavy chain as a last resort safety measure going to the pilings of a nearby building.

After evacuating from the storm, we have no way of knowing how the boat faired through the ordeal. All we know is that the storm took a last minute jog east and the eye passed directly over where we are keeping the boat.

I stumble upon some satellite images taken after the storm following the path of the eye and start looking through them to find the one I am looking for. I see the pilings of what used to be the building that the safety chain went to and the marina is completely void of buildings, boats, cars, dumpsters, etc. The whole area has been wiped clean. My uncles 60 ft steel hulled boat is across the bayou on land, in the trees, so it is not looking good.

I keep looking through satellite images and I see a hull up on land that looks to be the right size for our boat. All we can do it wait to get home and see.

Fast forward a month, we are back home, my house just needs a new roof, my brothers needed a few shingles, but my parents house took just enough water to ruin everything in it, but not the electrical. That magical number is 4" of water.

We all ban together, gut my parents house, get them a travel trailer (not a fema trailer) to put along side the house while redoing it, and start to go look for the boat.

As we are driving down the highway that has water on one side of it and about a 1/4 mile of land on the other side, then a levee, we are seeing all the boats there were in the bayou piled up on the levee. There is even a 200ft barge with a crane on it on land, on the other side of the highway, and the powerlines are still intact. A LOT of water went through there for the barge to float and clear the power lines.

We first stop at the marina where the boat was, and it looks just as bad as the satellite photos. It is decimated. One of the locals says the high water mark was 30 ft above the normal water line judging by the debris in the top of the train bridge.

Now we go to look for the hull we saw in the picture. Sure enough, it is our boat, 1/2 mile from where it should be, upside down, and half sunken into the marsh grass. Luckily, the hull is intact. We pull the prop before it gets stolen and paint the registration number and our phone number on the hull so it can be seen from the air and go back home to figure out how to get the boat back. We buy a back hoe in need of repair for cheap, get it running reliably and start to plan how to move 20,000 lbs of upside down boat 200 ft back into open water.

While this is going on (about 8 months total while renovating my parents house), we get a call from the Dept of Wildlife. They ask what we are doing with the abandoned boat. We tell them its not abandoned, that’s why our phone number is on it, and we are planning to get it back in the water. They tell us they are coming through with heavy equipment the next day and are getting rid of all the boats in that area since it is a wild life refuge. We agree to meet them out there. They show up with a huge drag line crane on big marsh buggy tracks. They hook up to one of the motor mounts we build for that detroit diesel and pick the whole boat up from that one point and have it hanging from its side. They lay it back down slowly and now the boat is sitting upright again. The drag line then repositions in front of our boat and picks it up from the front eye where the rigging used to attach to, and spins it so that it is facing the open water. Next the boat is inch wormed back into the water by the drag line pulling it towards himself, then backing up and doing the same over and over.

Alas!! The boat is floating again, and here is the aftermath:

Fast forward a couple of years, including a lot of cleaning, fiberglass work, welding, and plenty of money spent, the Detroit Diesel is pulled out and the old cabin is torn off.
We have rebuilt a new cabin out of 2" foam board and fibergalss. The windows are RV windows on the sides, and we custom built the front windows from aluminum flat bar and custom cut windshield glass.

By bigredtruck at 2011-10-31

Fast forward once again to present day. The boat is back up in the ship yard getting painted again, the shaft has been machined where it had wear, and the new prop is put on.
We have run all the electrical, the hydraulic steering is installed, and the fuel tank has been emptied and cleaned.

And the new engine is going in. A 375 HP Caterpiller 3208:
It smokes a little because we were using the old fuel from the boat after polishing it, but we are not going to put it back into the fuel tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0FWsfSifR4

Hopefully in the next few days, all the measuring, cutting, welding, and fiberglass work will pay off and the boat will once again be moving under its own power!!!

All along we were asked that same question I am sure plenty of you have been asked about the cars while they are always being worked on: Why don’t you just sell that thing?!?

And we always have the same answer: Because its OUR boat!!!

That’s awesome…not the damage, but the dedication, resilience, and sheer willpower. Keep us updated! (The Skipper and Gilligan could have used you and the fam!)

Yeah, I never could figure out why the Professor could build a transistor radio out of coconuts, but couldn’t fix a 2ft hole in a boat.

Also, we bought 2 of these when we first got the boat:

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=261

We finally killed one of them this year after over a decade of sanding nothing but fiberglass and gel coat. They are pretty tough.

Okay, that is just amazing.
I have family that was living down in Buras, Plaquemines Parish if I spelled that correctly. They threw in the towel, they are all in their 80’s and it was just too much for them to handle. Bravo to you for sticking with it.

Yep, both spelled correctly.

I have plenty of relatives who made the same decision. My parents moved about 45 minutes northwest of New Orleans to the laid back rural area and haven’t missed the city one bit.

nice work

thanks for the story.

quite the adventures :thumbup:

I cant even imagine… Had a few friends in Reserve that packed it in after that. The company he worked for ended up moveing to Shireveport so it want too hard of a choice for them.

Bravo for sticking to it!

Wow cool story! I wouldn’t know where to even start to restore a boat like that let alone do it twice. The 3208 cat is a very good durable engine I’m sure you will be happy with it. We had several of them in tractors on the farm. Even had one catch on fire and got so hot it started to melt the alum valve covers. New covers and wiring harness and it kept on running. Still running when it was sold a few years ago. We still have this one left on the farm running strong. So what are the plans for the boat when completed?

I am pretty sure that that tractor stays in one spot and moves the earth around underneath it.

Yeah, that Detroit made enough torque to move that boat around easily. Figuring 400 HP at 2300 RPM, that equals 913 ft-lbs of torque. Of course, being a 2 stroke, it sounded like it was about to fly apart at that speed. Add in the HUGE turbo it had, and it sounded like a jet engine was running on the back deck when cruising, plus the exhaust side of the turbo wasn’t cooled, so the engine cover had to have plenty of ventilation.

The Cat is much lighter, very quiet and only has 25 less horsepower, just at a higher RPM. Plus it has a glycol loop cooled block, exhaust manifolds, and turbo. The saltwater just goes through a heat exchanger to cool the glycol.

It will be nice to have a quiet boat this time around. For now, we just want it to move under its own power, get all the electronics back on it, and enjoy having the boat again.
The price of diesel vs the price of shrimp doesn’t justify spending the time and money to full re-rig it again as a work boat.

I can relate to the Detroit diesel.We had a forage harvester in the 70’s with a 671 supercharged detroit. One heck of a bark! when we were doing corn running it hard (no lie) you could hear it three mile away. Blew it up once by punching a rod thru both sides of the block. Here is a link to one like we had.

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?18938-Fox-self-propelled-chopper

Funny how life comes in a full circle. Right now I’m currently working on the v12 motor for the Jaguar.

http://www.claas.com/cl-pw/northamerica/products/forage_harvester/jaguar900series/start,bpSite=817884.html

Funny, when I think of V-12 Jaguar, I automatically picture this:

in one of these:

Latest update:

Talked to my brother, the boat is back in the water and moving under its own power.

He got it up to 22 knots with the engine only turning 2400 RPM when it should get up to 3000 RPM.

So, either we have too much wheel underneath it, or the throttle linkage isn’t adjusted correctly. Its tough to trouble shoot when there is only one person on board. My dad was in the little boat as the chase vehicle.

He said it was trying to get up on a plane when it was cruising at that speed, just a little more speed would let it brake over, let the nose drop and then it would really get moving.

Right now, we have a 28X28 3 blade wheel on it, so that might be a little too much. We’re just going to install a pyrometer in the exhaust elbow to make sure we aren’t pushing the engine too hard for the time being. If it is in fact too much wheel, we just have to get that one re worked and take some pitch out of it.

The boat is back in the water and running like a champ. Here is the video of putting it back into the slip after a run around the bayous today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMXjY4mpBjk

Great story, sweet rig. I just got a call this morning from a shrimper friend wanting to know if I wanted shrimp at 4.25 per lb., so with diesel around $4.00 per lb. he’s selling his catch for what he’s paying for gas per lb. Where’s the profit? SalD

That’s exactly why we weren’t in any rush to set the boat up for shrimp season. You would need to catch a bumper crop every time out to make a profit at current diesel prices.

We’re putting the radar on, a huge awning, nice stereo system, and a swim ladder to make it into a pleasure boat for now.

this is so cool.

What a story, what an ordeal you’ve all been through. Thanks for bringing us along. Time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.