The Story of 543072 a W code cat

Over the next couple of months or more, I will share pictures of this old gal.
She’s an unusual cat that survived the cruelty of neglect mostly.
Sporting just over 72k miles , I have begun a meticulous task of returning the car to all original parts for now.
Some of you already know her,or used to.
Anybody with any information of her past life,should contact me.
As I don’t know much about the original owner!
[CCCGallery]

[/CCCGallery]

I’m looking forward to “The Rest of the Story”

What’s your part of the GTE 's story? It with be cool to see and hear more about your rare Cougar.
Steven

My part of the story began over 30 years ago. After selling my 66 and 67’ Mustangs. I had a 1966 Mustang coupe in high school and always liked the Cougar.
After H.S., I found a 1967 Mustang Fastback with a 289 A code Four speed transmission and 4.11.1 posi rear.
Drove that for over two years with no heater, until breaking the flexplate. Long story, but sold it because of no where to store it at the time. A couple years later I found a 1967 Mustang Convertible with deluxe interior. Midnight Blue with black top and matching deluxe interior. Restored it ,and showed it for about 11 years before selling to a gentleman in Cal.
In the meantime about 1986, my wife’s coworker had a limefrost green 1967 GT minus the original 390 GT engine and transmission.
Still sporting 10’ view original paint, I made a deal and decided to install a 351 4V Cleveland Motor (I just had machined and personally assembled.)and C-6 trans.motor was from a 1970 Cougar.
Later I restored this to a Candyapple red from the 1966 Mustang code.This was used as a daily driver for me and my wife for over 14 years. In the meantime I bought and sold several more Cougars and even a 1972 Mustang H.O.
The Cougars ranged from X codes to several XR-7 GT’s to Several more 69 and 70 R and Q codes. Some came and went, but most decided to stay.:grin:

But this isn’t about me,it’s about a very unique car and I look forward to sharing the story!
More to come soon!

My source of information is based on parting out and assembling at least 20 cars, years 1967-1970 mostly Cougars.
Also I have used sources like Jim P., Royce P.,Hank Huisman, just to name a few.
I hope I inspired several resto projects since my magazine coverage , way back in 2003?
I recently picked up Don Skinners Mysterious Cougar GTE book. Once picked up,hard to put down. As I was reading I couldn’t help to note an error.(he later explained)
A few sentences down he revised his statement to 2 GTE’s were known to be produced with the Convience Control Panel.
Well Don if you’re reading this,you’ll have to revise your second edition to 3.

Backside of 427 scoop “date of 2-26-68”. I can’t recall seeing a date on my other red 427 car , never pulled the black scoop.

543072 was bucked on 2-29-68. Scheduled build date March 08,1968.
A retail order shipped to San Diego CA., believed to have resided here until late 1977, until parked.
The story I recall was,it was being transported and someone noticed the car and followed or flagged the owners attention.
Apparently a deal was struck and the car eventually ended up Michigan. So I’m guessing it sat in storage for 15 years,before finding the P.O., who was helped to “get it back on the road”. It’s now in the hand’s of a Cougar guy!
I have the passion this car needs, and demands.
That’s where I came in. I couldn’t help but notice the car at the 50th Anniversary of the Mercury Cougar Show in Dearborn.
The Cats there put on a Great Show!
The Arrival Day! We get the call and meet the driver near the local church.
He unloads a 1941 Chevrolet Truck after some trouble with the brakes. The driver then prepares to backup the Ferrari behind my Cougar,which are on the second level(top). After some moments he exits the car assuming it’s in park. Within a few seconds it’s rolling out of the trailer unmanned and rolling at a good clip, I can’t help but snap a picture and assume the worst.
If I was betting I thought for sure it was a goner.

Luckily the frame slowed the car enough to stop it from rolling off.
My Cat was next, crossing my fingers.
The Cougar made it here safe and sound, now the fun begins.
I have been up and down the car,and could only find a 1" long crack in left rear quarter. Solid everywhere else and all original sheet metal!
Except for the hood, what a bummer, some very minor rust in front lip inside, and Augusta Green showing behind the hood insulation.
What’s the odds anyone has an original 1968 Cardinal Red hood that’s rust free?
Oh wait I do , one of the many benefits of being a Scrapper! :joy:
So I guess I can call it all original paint now, other than a couple of minor touch-ups. :laughing:
I’ll put a high speed polisher to it , after a touch up.
Anyone want all the repro. Crap, I’m pulling off of it ?

What does everyone else think?
Should the car be left alone? Tell me what you think?

Should the car be left alone? Tell me what you think?

Two cliches for you:
They’re only original once. (And yours is nice!)
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. (Just fix what is.)

I appreciate most people’s expression of automotive art,
but there’s something really special about a nicely preserved original car.

A car like this in my opinion, the originality IS the story. The rest of the story is just dressing. I think you have made a great decision.

Thanks for the help guys!
I’m going to focus on preservation first.

This is the only VIN that’s exposed on most of the 68’s I have.(GTE’s included)

I sat in a retirement home one Sunday afternoon and heard the story of how the car was “found” in California and bought by a prominent doctor in Grosse Pointe, MI. I visited his home and spoke to his wife who had recently had him admitted to an Elder Care facility as he was suffering with advanced memory loss. That afternoon, he seemed perfectly healthy and was recalling the day he spotted the car with absolute clarity. The good doctor was a fanatic car collector. Almost exclusively Ford/mercury products. His wife’s Sunday driver was a 1936 Ford Pheaton Convertible. He sat and recalled all the cars he owned including a 1967 R code Fairlane, several Boss cars and CJ’s. The story goes…he was in California on vacation when this car, loaded on the back of rollback tow truck, passed him going the opposite direction. He turned around on the spot, chased the car down and bought it on the side of that California Highway. He recalled (correctly) the car did not have a speck of rust on it and paid a princely sum for it back in the 1980’s. $4500. He shipped the car back to Michigan where it sat in a barn on his apple orchard in Macomb Township, MI. He sold the car to a young man in Dundee, MI. This young man worked at a the Ford Flat Rock Assembly Plant. The young man’s plan to restore the car (not that it needed it) was cut short when he got laid off from the plant and bills started piling up. Another GTE owner had a Grecian Gold GTE on display at the Hines Park Cruise when the young man (with his bills weighing heavily on his mind) approached the GTE owner and stated he “had one of these cars” at home he’d like to sell. A deal was made and this red car started finding it’s way back into circulation. The 7.0 Litre Kid bought the car from the Grecian Gold Guy. It couldn’t be in better hands, now. The Community wins.

Mike great story so far and what a great Cougar. I’d leave it as is just as your’re describing. We are doing the same with out Lime Frost XR7G. It has it’s bumps and bruises but it’s a survivor. after a lot of research I located the original owner and spoke to him. Our XR7G had an snow accident early in it’s life in California and the hood scoop was replaced with a GTE model. I purchased an original G hood scoop for a spare but it will stay in storage for now. Here are some pictures of the GTE hood scoop with the date sticker of 5/17/68.

I’m in the line of thought that a Cougar is only original once so patina is cool. If you get tired of the patina then restore it.

Steven

Ray
I am so glad that you were there,and able to share the story!
I knew some of the story, but you added much more.
If it wasn’t for you,I probably wouldn’t have the car.
I would still like to know more about the original owner. It seems it’s first owner might have had a jealous girlfriend.(just speculating).

Mike great story so far and what a great Cougar. I’d leave it as is just as your’re describing. We are doing the same with out Lime Frost XR7G. It has it’s bumps and bruises but it’s a survivor. after a lot of research I located the original owner and spoke to him. Our XR7G had an snow accident early in it’s life in California and the hood scoop was replaced with a GTE model. I purchased an original G hood scoop for a spare but it will stay in storage for now. Here are some pictures of the GTE hood scoop with the date sticker of 5/17/68.

I’m in the line of thought that a Cougar is only original once so patina is cool.

Steven
That’s great you got to talk with the original owner!
I’ll bet that scoop was one of the last runs contracted, since the R code was Introduced 4-1-68. I haven’t seen the Company logo that’s a plus.

So my next dilemma is re painting the hood. I’ve installed a lot of distressed hardwood trim, etc.
At first I didn’t like someone distressing my woodwork, but after time, you appreciate it.(sorta in certain places)
I’ll probably just shoot a factory finish,and keep the hood open.:smiley:

Mike,
Amazing story and neat car to add to your Cougar Collection.

I agree with Steven as it is only original once and enjoying it as is would be ideal.

Gavin
Thanks
That’s my intentions also!

I have spent the last 6 weeks correcting items and details, it’s getting closer.
Date coding glass and parts has been challenging,but rewarding.
I have found most of the original parts, and will have it completed somewhat this summer.
Most of the tedious stuff is done.

Installing a correct date Radiator was a big hurdle,and a big relief!
537286 has C8ZE M-1 7MB
Build date Feb. 26 68
543072 has C8ZE M-1 8AD
Build date March 08 68
553582 has W MO C8ZE K2 tag soldered on top tank
Build date March 15 68

Since you already have a really nice one I would think it would be fun to have one that if you got another door ding or rock chip it would be no big deal. I also think it is VERY valuable to have original “templates” in circulation to help everyone else with their restorations.

You don’t realize how much easier it is do simple things!
Like pull the hood for instance, no worries about covering the fenders.:grinning:
Good practice for when it really matters.

W Mo radiators were made by Western Modine, I believe that they only supplied the Milpitas,(San Jose) factory in 1968.
I think that I would not include that one in my sample. From memory, I do not believe that they had Ford numbers on the side straps of W Mo radiators.