The "Top Cat" 1970 Cougar Eliminator

Hi, just found this forum while looking for a picture of a 1970 Eliminator to show my grand-daughter what I once had. I bought the Eliminator from some Mercury dealership in San Bernardino, CA in 1970 that had been racing the car as the “Top Cat”. I got it “new” with about 2400 miles on it. Manual Steering, 428SCJ, Top Loader 4-speed, 3.50 detroit locker. It was, unfortunately, repossessed because I could not keep up with the payments; a whopping $144.00 per month. I was in the USAF at the time stationed at George AFB near Victorville, CA. Would love to know who owns this car now, if it still exists. Loved the big-block power!

HI Chuck and welcome to the site. If you have the VIN it might be possible to locate the car through the CCOA National Database.

Welcome to the Classic Cougar Community. As Bill stated the Vin # would be a great help. Do you have any photos of your old Cougar?
Steven

No photos available. Yellow exterior and black interior; black spoiler. 8-track tape player. Hurst Competition-Plus T-handle shifter. Schiefer clutch and flywheel (I replaced them once). I also replaced the oil pan after bottoming out once and I noticed that each of the connecting rods had blue painted numbers saying either 612 or 692 (grams?), can’t remember which, on them. I remember the dealer telling me the engine had been balanced by Iskendarian. The last I saw of it was in San Bernardino, CA at the original dealer’s car lot, probably 1971…

If it was an SCJ it would not have a 3.50 rear axle ratio. The SCJ was available with 3.91 or 4.30 ratios only.

The 3.50 ratio was standard with the 428CJ and no air conditioning.

check out the DoverDragStrip.com forum then put in top cat Cougar from what the forum says there was one run out of NY and one run out of Oconner LM in Cali good luck with the search

This was definitely an SCJ with a 3.50 Locker rear-end. I’m not sure that the dealer did not transplant a motor into this car before I got it. I do remember walking out of the sales office, keys in hand, and the master mechanic hailing me from the service department and asking if I wanted to buy headers, wheels with “pinned” slicks and some other stuff that he said would “probably bolt right on”.

I do remember the license plate; maybe we could trace it like that. California “CBM 567”, blue and gold plate sort of new at the time.

Thanks,

Chuck

Here you go Chuck, show your grand-daughter your old car (circa 2014). Blue CA plates, 567 CBM.

This car was formerly owned by William “Bill” Kaminski Jr, who was an active Cougar Club member in the past. That was before my time, but I bet there are others here on the board who remember Bill, and may know more about his car. In early summer of 2014 I was told that this car had been sold to a gentleman in the San Bernardino area that was going to fix it up. At that time the car had been sitting for about 10 years.

0F91Q509919 is competition yellow with a black decore interior, 428CJ, 4-speed. Factory rear axle ratio is S-code (3.50 locking), so not a factory drag pak car - most likely dealer or previous owner upgrades.

http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1999&start=10

Very interesting read! Looks like the O’connor LM “Top Cat” was a '67 with a 302 with the Gurney-Westlake heads?
Love the pic of the east coast '70 “Top Cat” as well! Looks like a competition gold ram-air car.

Wow, thanks for the pic. Brings back some memories…and headaches. Glad to know the truth about the equipment on this vehicle by VIN and actual content. If present owner wants to contact me for war stories, I’d be glad to help out! Or, if the present owner is willing to sell…

Best regards,

Chuck

Present cars:
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1986 Mustang SVO (original owner)

I may have some updates to this story very soon now.

I’m definitely interested in your update.

Be cool to see the updates.

thanks
pat