The white GT-E

The (only) white GT-E is being auctioned at Mecum Houston on Saturday, April 8th, 2017. It’s lot #50 for that day.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/HA0417-280231/1968-mercury-cougar-gt-e/

Originally a Lime Frost GTE if I remember correctly. It looks really good in white. I’m curious as to what it will bring at the hammer. I think some small items could be corrected to bring stronger bids.
Steven

Looks like a dual point distributor was installed.

If it was originally Lime Frost, it’s not the white car (sorry to state the obvious) I don’t know which car it is.

It’s the former Lime Frost GTE. Here is a picture I have of it from the last time it went up for sale.

Note the 427 emblems on the hood scoop. It was last listed for sale at a Houston auction. It’s vin is 8F93W537798.

Steven

This car is lot S50 and selling with no reserve on Saturday.

There are a lot of things wrong with the car. It’s a shame, as it really won’t be a indicator of what a properly restored GT-E will bring.
As I think the buyers will notice the incorrect items, and that will reflect in the price. I mean it even has 427 emblems on the hood scoop, which I think the announcer said was functional.

Other than the color change the other items could probably be corrected. It is still a GT-E and someone could end up with a real bargain!

I agree. This is a great Cougar that has small issues but I feel that could attract great early bidding.
Steven

Sold $90,000. All in with 10% commission $99,000!

Deleted

I’m the buyer of the Mecum White GT-E. In 1968 I owned a 68 XR7, 390 Auto. It was red w/black interior and vinyl top. I always lusted for the 427. I guess this purchase is an attempt to regain my lost youth! lol

I’m into originally and hope to address the incorrect items. Any help would be appreciated. I bought it sight unseen so I’m hoping I made a solid purchase. It was a little on the rich side but who cares! I don’t.

I plan on driving it. No garage queens in my future. I sent my info to the GT-E registry.

Rsstopper

Welcome to the Madness!

Rsstopper,
Certainly I hope you also plan on joining the CCOA www.CougarClub.org has made contact information. I did speak with Jim and he mentioned that you had already reached out to him to update the registry. Although originally A Lime Frost car, the GT-E does look very attractive in white. Your Cougar from my understanding has a built up race ready 427, built by a very reputable engine builder…it should be a lot of fun to drive.

Greg Taylor, the Technical Advisor for the CCOA lives outside of Tallahassee Florida and is currently finishing the restoration of a GT-E 427 XR7, he would also be a great person to speak with. I’m not sure how far Greg is from you, it would be neat to have you see the one he is less than 60 days away from finishing.

Do you plan to attend any of the 2017 events for the 50th? Tulsa is in two weeks, followed by Carlisle and Dearborn. Six events in all. It would be great to meet you in person at either the Tulsa, Dearborn or SoCal events.

Welcome back to the hobby.
This forum is filed with a lot of great resources and Enthusiest who can assist with almost anything you might need

I’m sure your excited after the day you had securing an amazing ticket back to your youth.

Rsstopper, Congratulations on your purchase! I love your attitude about the car, drive it, enjoy it and have fun while you correct what you can. It’s a gorgeous car and it’s a GT-E!

Congratulations on your purchase. May you have much joy and happiness with this car. You realized your dream. My usual advice is to make it your own. In the case of a GT-E, being as rare, I would hope you make it original and as close to factory as possible. I love that it won’t be a trailer queen. My white diamond pearl 68 xr-7 is not as factory made it. Everybody loves it though. And the ghost flames the last owner did have grown on me over time. Never thought I would like a white car but I do now. Keep it white if you like it that way. I was coming back in the car watching the auction on my phone after taking a friend to pick up his 85 caddy Eldorado Biarritz in Sarasota. Just want to say I share your excitement. I regret not buying Hank Huismans 68 gte 428 back in the day. Oh well. It is what it is… Best of luck and enjoy the hell out of it!

If it were mine I would enjoy it mostly as is, maybe consider a return to the original paint scheme in the future. It would be great if you brought the car to Tulsa for the upcoming CCOA Nationals. We will have at least 6 other GT-E’s there.

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I’m very excited to see it! It’s on the Transporter.
I looked into Carlisle and realized I have a date conflict. I’ll look into Tulsa or Dearborn.

I’ve been a Ford guy ever since my Red XR7… I have an F150, F250, '66 Mustang, Focus RS and now the GT-E. I bleed Ford blue! The Cougar is destined to be my favorite.

Thanks Again!

Randy (rsstopper)

Beautiful Cougar. I am a member of the board and the secretary for the Mid America Cougar Nationals in Tulsa. I know it is short notice, but we have 5 other GT-E’s coming to the show. Registration closed yesterday, but I know I can talk the other committee members to let this one in. :wink:

lots of pics on www.midamericaclassiccougars.com check out the Nationals 2017 tab.

Charlie B. (Fisherman74017)