Tires that go bad in under 7000 miles

So, I purchased BFG tires for the wife’s 67 when she picked out 17" rims.

BFG had just introduced a new tire replacing a older style. So after just 5 years they are cracked worse than a lacquered paint job from the 40’s!
Major huge cracks along the tread & the side wall is spidered w them also.

Another great item that goes bad due to fake rubber & politics…

Have you contacted the retailer to see if they would replace them under warranty?

Coker tires had a run of bad Model T Ford tires that they have been replacing free of charge due to similar problems even if the time in the advertisement is expired. Hopefully your tires came from them too.

Thank you Royce!
I called, need to drive it to have them inspected.

Only problem today it’s snowing for the first time in approx 250 days!

I’ll let you know what happens!

Like Royce suggested I would go back to the dealer and see if they can make it right. I was going to ask if they date code (build date) was much earlier than the sales/mounting date but sort of mute as you stated the design is rather new.

I used to run BFG All terrain KOs on my trucks, I stopped running them because they would check badly, long before the tread was worn out. Those particular tires (the all terrain KOs, now the KO 2s) I think are grossly overrated.

Rubber in general today is very poor right from license plate bumpers to to shackle bushings, my wife’s Ford Flex had side cracks, Goodyear did replace them for 17.50 each ??,but the manager had to see them for himself.

Instead of driving it. You should put her up on jackstands and pull them off and tote them to the store.

I like to buy tires that are now made in America, Hankook or Sumitomo, never had problems. They are made in Clarksville, TN.

yep same, They always treated me well. My last set of Kos I put on my F250 lasted 25k miles before they got to 3/32nds and needed replaced. Im done running them now.

Running Generals instead and so far they have been great.

Agreed but tire manufactures change country of origin all the time. For example the tires I have on my cougar have a pair made here and the other pair are Germany. Same tire different size.

Tires are not made as well as they have been in the past thats for sure. However life expectancy is only about 5-7yrs anyway even without mileage driven.

I think we will see alot of things made during the years of the 'vid be even worse. Manufactures are scrambling to produce anything and everything. I suspect lots of changes to production and materials used will cause lots of quality issues in the future.

Cougar Bill, if you would post a photo of your tire’s DOT code, making sure you include the four digit date code at the end of the DOT code, I will see what I can do to help you. DOT code is located on the lower sidewall near the rim.

BF Goodrich does provide a 6 year warranty with respect to materials and workmanship. This needs to go through the tire dealer first.

From your photos it appears those cracks are the result of ozone cracking. We in the rubber industry have been battling ozone cracking for decades…

You need to get rid of those tires whatever the cost. Not to make excuses, but I have heard that there is a world wide rubber shortage. My son bought a set of Sumotomo for his Mustang GT and they shredded apart within 3 months. Luckily did not cause an accident. Nowadays most tires are manufactured in Thailand because that is the principal rubber source. I’m running Cooper Cobras on my Cougar. I like the way they look and ride, they were reasonable priced and made in USA for good measure. I hope they give you a refund but get them off your wife’s car.

Update: I took car slowly to a tire store close to home. Had manager look at tires. He took pics & sent them to BFG/Michelin. I should hear this week.
Thanks for all the suggestions & help!

Bill

Still waiting on a response… Wait! I just got a customer survey from Michelin… They want to know how things went… I responded that I was still waiting… Why send a survey when no one has contacted me yet???

So, kinda wondering why it’s taking almost a month and crickets from BFG/Michelin…

The Big O tire store never sent in my request or pics…

WTF???

Is it just me or have things gone to hell lately???

Yup, things just don’t work like they used to anymore.

I’m also a fan of the Cooper Cobras! They aren’t expensive, look good, handle well, and I’ve had no issues whatsoever after a year (except for two out-of-round styled steel wheels, but that’s a different problem).

What a waste of time. I STRONGLY suggest that everyone pass on buying any Michelin tires. I was railroaded into buying these BFG “Gforce” tires.
After trip to tire store to have them “inspected” and pictures taken, NOTHING happened for almost a month. I called Michelin, and they have no record of this, yet I have a valid case # they gave me… WTF???

Trying to talk w/ people & then a supervisor, I got a very rude comment…

“Sir I don’t care if the tire have 1 mile on them, they are outside the warranty”

Sad to say I’ve purchased approx 100+ sets of BFG T/A’s and truck tires & the wifes Honda over the last 40+ years.

They don’t care. So don’t do business with worthless corporations (French ones especially) that take over good companies just to run them into the ground!

What a JOKE!!

Thanks for the info Bill I’ll be staying clear of them and to your previous posts things do seem to be a lot more difficult on everything.

After looking around I found some USA made tires (or so they say…) I bought a set of General “G- Max AS-05” 245-45-17 tires from tire rack. Free shipping and no local taxes (like RTD- bus company- we call Reason To Drive), and a lot of other like taxes. I had them mounted & I put them on the wife’s Cat.
How do I say politely WOW!!
A new car. No more rut hungry driving, trying to keep it in the lane. They even maneuver at slow speeds better! Those old tires were so poor of a design, bad ride, square edges, noisy, Bad in poor weather, etc.

I’ll have to see how they wear & age, but they are a major upgrade from those others. Snow coming tonight, so I might go out tomorrow to test them!

Thanks for the help, comments & reads.

P.S Michelin offered a meager $12.50 ea tire IF i bought new ones Michelin brand again… More customer Dis service, like we don’t matter, just our $$$ does.

UPDATE: tires are really great. In snow & bad weather. I only have around 5000 miles on them. great ride, handling & no cracking!!