Trans cooler lines & crossmember

The old ones are out, they were a combo of compression fittings and rubber lines.

The new one piece tubes just will not go in without removing things.
It looks like I can remove the front crossmember and get them in.
Question, can the crossmember be removed without bracing or other measures and maintain alignment?
Im thinking between the export brace and the engine mounts I’m ok. Advice from those more experienced appreciated and welcome.

The front crossmember simply unbolts. As long as you don’t drive the car that way it is completely safe. You might consider removing the sway bar as it is in the way too.

Thanks Royce, i didnt realize the sway bar is in the way also. Albeit i havent got that far yet😁

You can just remove the four bolts that attach the sway bar to the frame and let it hang down. The part where the sway bar attaches to the lower control arms is fine. You just need the sway bar to hang down a bit.

I installed the WCCC steel cooler lines in my 69. I did not need to remove the cross member or move the sway bar. I did find the lines were about 8" too long and ended up cutting them and putting in a new double flare. Fit perfect now. I have seen a lot of photos of the lines bent into s shapes to get them to fit at the radiator. Just do not like that look.

Mad, the line from the back of the FMX is too long.
I dont know if its 8 inches but too long. Pulling the crossmember was easy, removing the sway bar mounts, revealed bad rubber., NEW PROJECT. Still deciding how to resolve the long line issue, but a cut and join in a straight section is under review. I did notice on the tag on the line said MUSTANG (HINT,HINT). Oh well, more parts being cleaned and painted, parts search underway.

Get a good flare kit and cut them to the correct length. Flaring is pretty simple and it will look correct.

Mustang is the same as Cougar - so it would fit a Mustang with the 351 / FMX exactly the same way.

Here the difference between the tube that came out and the new one. Looks to be 2 inches, not insurmountable. Notice the “modification” of the old one. Picked up new sway bar bushings. The old ones are shot.

Ok. Job done, handles better with the new bushings. Only had one leak up front at the radiator on the lines. For the 2 inch difference i just put a bit more “S” bend into the line to compensate.