WANTED! 1969 xr7 or STD Convertible / Restored!!!

A friend and I from High School reconnected this week. He is the CEO of a major toy company that does a lot of die cast cars and wants to revisit his youth with the purchase of a 1969 (maybe 1970?) convertible. Since his youth was spent driving a very tired 1965 Impala 4dr he wants to instead relive the fun times we shared in my cars, thus a Cougar. It needs to be a turn key restored or VERY nice original that would be considered investment quality. This company has yet to do a 69 Convertible model so good chance the car he buys gets used as a template in the future. He wants a cruiser that he can drive to work 5 miles away in SoCal, he is not concerned with AC or PW, a 351 with AT would be fine. Said car will go through me, sent to WCCC and prepped before he gets it. He is not a fan of Red but does like yellow and other original tones of the day that sometimes get passed over these days. Not looking for a bargain, willing to pay retail fair market value for the right car. Don West Coast Classic Cougar 503-463-1130 donr(at)cougarpartscatalog.com

Don,
I saw this one and thought it might be a fit.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/774657386538655/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Adbff3a19-423c-4c2b-b866-40f90ec79b28

That is lovely and I know the seller. Thank you for pointing it out! Looks another $5k and she would be a show winner. I will reach out to them and let you know what transpires!

I’m local to it and happy to help if needed. It looks like a beautiful car.

He has a doctor looking at it tomorrow with an inspector and claims that his cars never have a second showing. After talking with him I believe it, I too never have to reduce my price or make excuses. Even though the price was full retail I think the value was there. Not looking for bargain on this one.

The timing may not work out for your buyer, but I’m planning to sell my 1969 XR7 M Code / auto convertible later this fall. It’s equipped with AC, console, PS, PDB. The car is Dark Aqua metallic with a black top and interior. We’d changed the interior to white, but I already have the black XR7 interior to go back in, along with a new black top. The car was restored ~10 years ago and shown on My Classic Car with Dennis Gage. Body is incredibly solid, even the original floors which you rarely see in my part of the country.

I’ve had the original #’s matching engine and FMX rebuilt, down to the correct Autolite 4300. If the torque converter wasn’t back ordered, I’d have it in already. Once it’s driving again I’m putting the black top and interior back in, along with a new exhaust system. The car has been idle while my dad was suffering from a terminal illness, so this recent work is aimed at giving it a good refresh. Many of the chrome pieces were NOS or rechromed when installed as part of the original restoration.

I will take it, the good ones are worth waiting for! Love the color, where do I send the check?

Well there ya go!!!

After sleeping on it my friend decided the blue interior made it a little too “Smurfy”. I am trying to get him interested in this car I owned years ago.

OK, I’m confused. Which one has the blue interior? I thought the aqua one was currently white with a planned change to black. The linked video dates back to 2011 but appears to be the aqua one from DropTopCougr.

I want to keep this straight so I can let the person I’ve been dealing with on Rich Clark’s car know about it in case he doesn’t move forward with that one.

The emerald green one restored by Hillyers Mustang that used to be mine is currently owned by the worlds foremost avid 69 convertible collector Randy Carlson and is not officially on the market. That is the one on youtube. The reason I stated "Not looking for a bargain is that the best cars often reside in strong hands and one must front run the market a little to shake them lose. Several years goes by and often it turns out well… Even though this hunt is taking awhile I am not suggesting to my High School Buddie a fee is involved but since he insisted… He is the CEO of a major toy corporation so the 1967 xr7 Cougar toy they are planning will have a WCCC plate.

So which one has the blue interior and is that one on the market? Just trying to keep track and make sure I don’t trip over any in-process deals.

This one and if does not sell in a few days it will be on Bring A Trailer. My guess is he will get his price.

Looks like it’s already gone. The listing has been removed.

Does not surprise me, I gave the link to a few folks that had been looking. It had a $15k paint job and was a super clean car to start with. Just needed the steering wheel restored, new boot trim, clock replaced and a couple minor touches to be a show winner.

I did cringe when I saw that boot trim. Shame! Agree it’s a gorgeous paint job on that car. Jumps off the page, err, computer monitor.

The diecast parts can have the holes filled and replated but the stainless strips in the back are ruined. I have talked to several potential sellers and through the process have helped sell 2 as a result of my nationwide hunt. I feel I am really getting a feel for the current values for a 69 convertible. I believe this car that I recently sold for about $40k is now worth $45k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjnFMm7D9Xo

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/xrboottrim.html?sessionthemeid=26

The blue/blue convertible I noted here earlier is now live on BAT.

Link:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-mercury-cougar-xr7-9/

Nice paint job, and I like that the original AM/FM is still in place. Blue / Blue is a lot of a good thing, but I’m sure it looks nice in person. Seeing the ill-fitment of the quarter trims / wind lace make me feel better as my originals are the same way. I’ve fought with them, pleaded with them, left the wind lace in the sun, only to end up in the same spot. I forget sometimes these cars were build in Michigan instead of Italy…