Wanted my partial vin stamped C-6 transmission 543072 PGB W

Thought I’d post this here , just in case anyone has my original C-6 transmission!
Vin stamped on top of case will be 543072 , it should have a tag with PGB W and an H servo .
Please contact me @ 8zero1 6nine9-504nine
It’s one of the last missing pieces of this puzzle
Thanks
Mike

You might try also posting over on the 428CJ forum, and / or the Network 54 FE forum. You never know where it might have ended up!

This so nice!

Mike
Thanks I wanted to,but need to renew again and I’m waiting for approval.
You have my permission and blessing to post this same information on the other sites
Hopefully someone that put it in there Shelby Mustang will realize it’s not correct, and can now give it back ,and get the correct #’s one. LOL

So is the PGBW specific to the cougar?
can anybody answer for sure ?
apparently the Shelby guys think it went into the 428 KR’s also

What VIN is stamped on the one in the car?

I was just told it was not Vin stamped ,as soon as I get a chance I’ll have to do more research

This is the tag from #553582

I have the tag from 537286, just no current pics
Here is the info though in a different format
A Mercury Pre Delivery Schedule found taped behind the glove box.
(The transmission tag info. Is in the top right hand corner)

Can you or anyone explain the following number sequence on the tag?
I’ve got Marti’s book on vin tags on order.:grin:

My understanding is that the other number on the tag (148001) is basically a serial number for the trans and has no tangible link to the VIN of the car. It was probably used for tracking during the assembly of the trans. You should find a unique number on each transmission tag ~ or at least unique for a particular trans variant (like your PGB W).

That is how I understand it anyhow.

Looking in my original '68 shop manual it shows that specifically for the 427-4V Cougar (column shift,yes, it actually says that)and also my Mystery Muscle Car: Mercury Cougar 7.0 LITRE GT-E book (not column shift though),but in my M&CTbook, it only shows PGB-W was used in the '68 Shelby GT500 with the 428PI (obviously, not the only car).

The PGB-W was not used in the KR. It was used in the GT500 and in the Cougar GT-E only.

It’s got very minimal differences from the 390GT automatic C6. The clutch hub and the number of plates and discs is I believe the only difference. Torque converter is the same, servo, tailshaft housing etc nothing special.

Thanks guys

My recent neighbor owned a transmission shop,and taught me how to go through a C-6 once.
Not that I remembered very much.
I do remember the different cases, and there ability to use more clutches than others.
We always found and used the better cases.

I think we rebuilt about 6 of them, through the years.

The C8AP case allows the bigger clutch drum to fit.

The day I sat in the retirement home and talked to the good doctor about your car, he stated the original trans was sitting in the corner of the garage up against the house. A subsequent visit to the house found the trans he was referring to in the location referenced in the conversation. That transmission was NOT found to be the one with your VIN number. The trail of your original trans is cold.

Hmm… out of curiosity, what VIN was on that trans?

Thanks for providing these details, posting here will hopefully help reunite the two.

The current GTE Registrar will follow all known owners .

Please post any info., on all (rogue) transmissions with a VIN stamp, especially those starting with a 5,followed by the consecutive build order.
Starting 500000