WCCC '68 XR7-G Giveaway - Official Thread

You read the title correctly! West Coast Classic Cougar is giving away a 1968 Mercury Cougar XR7-G. This is a project car not for the faint of heart, but we know someone out there can give this rare cat the restoration it deserves. We’ve done a couple contests like this before; Don breaks down how it works in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBZsXuehCuM
About The Car

This G still has its original, numbers-matching J-code 302-4V block and C4 automatic transmission, as well as its factory-equipped sunroof. Originally Diamond Blue with a Parchment vinyl top and Dark Blue interior. A small handful or original G parts are included, and we’re also throwing in a reproduction G hood scoop. What you see in the video and pictures is what you get. Some significant rare parts are missing, such as the console, mirror, and valances. The underbody is relatively solid, with some rust holes in the rear floor pans and trunk. The rear window area has been patched by a previous owner. Body panels appear usable but will need work.

Here are some pictures of the car:

And here’s a little Johnny Lightning model we got to represent what the car could look like when done (winner gets this too):

(Note that the model has a black top instead of white and no sunroof, but it’s right right color!)

Marti Report:

Buck tag:

How To Enter

Convince us (and the community) that you’re the right person to tackle this project! We want to see this car get restored, and saved from the crusher. It will take a lot of skills, resources, time, parts, and know-how.

You can either write an essay (any length) or make a video, and paste your entry directly into this thread. Talk about your experience with / passion for Cougars, restoring cars in general, any special skills & qualifications you bring to the table, and whatever else makes you stand out. We’re looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

All entries must be submitted to this thread no later than Aug. 31, 2017.

The entries will then be judged by a panel of 5 members of the Cougar community (to be revealed soon). Once a winner is chosen, the title will be signed over, and the G will be theirs!

Thanks for reading, good luck everyone!

FINE PRINT: One entry per household. No purchase necessary. It’s okay if you do purchase things, but it won’t help. Winner must be taller than 4ft. 5in. WCCC can store the car for free up to 90 days after the winner is announced, but will not be held responsible for additional rust that occurs in the meantime. Everything is subject to change. If we think of more fine print, we’ll update this later.

It sure would be nice to see one of these give-aways finished. Maybe this third one will be the charm.

This would be an amazing car for me personally. I currently have a 69 cougar it was my late cousins and we bought it from him 2 years ago this december however my dad has fallen in love with this car. He originally bought it for me as my first car but seeing how much he likes it I want something to work on with him together. We have put lots of money into our current cougar seeing as it was in a similar condition to the one you have posted except with a working engine, and o believe we can restore this car one day at a time.

Very cool! Diamond Blue with a white top and dark blue interior is a neat color combo. Bet it would be striking to see that all shiny and new.

Also, you guys (Andrew, Don and ?) do such a nice job with these videos. I really like the way you work in the vintage Mercury graphics and logos and fonts into something new.

A detailed XR7-G walk-around video would be great!

• Phillip

I got my Cougar when I was 17. I searched for months on Craigslist and finally found the car for me. It was a 1968 302 2V, standard interior car. It needed a full restoration, including a passenger floor pan and both cowls - quite the undertaking for a 17 year old with no experience in restorations! I have been faithfully working on this car for 4 years now. Currently I have the engine that my dad and I rebuilt ready to go back in, the transmission is being rebuilt, door panels are being restored, and the steering wheel is being restored as well. It has taken me longer than most for this restoration I’m sure, but I’d rather do things right the first time. I have truly enjoyed researching, working on and spending thousands of dollars on this car. I do not regret any of it. This car has been such a large part of my life that it defines me now. Cars are more than just a bunch of steel to me; they all have a story to tell.

I would love to add another cat to the family. Since this is a very rare Cougar, I will be restoring this car as concours as possible. I will not be the fastest to restore this car, but I can say that it will be done right.

If you have any questions about me or my car please feel free to ask me.

It would be an honor,

Daniel W.

If I weren’t trying to get into a new home, this would be a good candidate. Oh well, I hope it goes to someone who actually plans on restoring/preserving it once done. Now back to making those tank straps for the Galaxie.

The winner of the 67 GT (Bert) is one of the essay contest judges. He will chime in soon and share a progress report. The last pictures he shared with me showed he was on the home stretch, the car looks stunning in black with white interior!

Don and the rest of the staff at WCCC,
OK, I am going to submit my entry for the '68 XR7-G Giveaway.

For those of you who remember, my daughter and I embarked on a restoration of an orange '69 Eliminator a few years ago. The Jen-inator was a father/daughter project that brought a ton of joy to myself and my daughter. That car (which is heavily documented on MercuryCougar.net) was a 5-year project that required both a donor car as well as the original Eliminator. It is actually going to be shown for the first time at the Yellow Rose of Texas All Ford show next month (July).

Now I have only focused on 69-70 Cougars to date. That is because my first car was a 69 Sports Special and it was my pride and joy … at least before my brother wrapped it around a telephone pole. Fortunately, I got my wife to agree that if anything were to happen to it after I sold it to my brother … I would always plan on getting another one. Unfortunately for her, she agreed.

Well, after a number of years I purchased a base '69 and made $3K off of parts I sold. That allowed me to save a nice XR7 that had been totaled and restore it back to new condition. It was Black Jade with a Black Vinyl roof and a dark green interior. The sale of that restored car allowed me to roll into a '69 Mustang GT Convertible, which I own to this day. After adopting our second daughter (Jenny), she took an interest in the Mustang and we finished that restoration when she was 10 years old. However, when it was done … she said, “Dad … when are we going to do one for me?” Well that led to the Eliminator … and I am not saying I influenced her decision on a Cougar, but when she asked if it came in orange and I described the Eliminator to her … she said, " … fine and I want it with AC, Auto, PS, Power Disc brakes, console, white interior, console, on and on and on." That’s when I knew I had created a monster.

Well tons of time, effort, garage space and money went into the car and I would be proud to show it with any other Eliminator at this time. Now for the purest of the Cougar enthusiasts … I did upgrade the engine, add additional safety features (Like a steel firewall behind the rear seat), convert to rotary AC and 134, and I am sure I made some other modifications along the way. But to placate those who would have their feathers ruffled, I also went to great ends to ensure the integrity of the car as well. For example, I sourced original comfort weave material from the west coast so I could have new/original white seat covers as the originals were torn. I also found time on a business trip to visit WCCC and meet the folks there. For those of you who have not done this … be careful. Putting down new taillight grills is next to impossible once you picked up a set and look at them.

For the 68 … well, this will be a departure for me and an opportunity to learn about a model I have never worked with before. The options listed sound cool and I would enjoy the chance to make the car my own as I will be headed into retirement in the next couple of years. It would give me something to “tinker” on and a chance to use up all the spare screws that I have cleaned on a wire wheel and then repainted. I already have a tilt column in the Mustang and the repair manual on that. The sunroof will be fun, but I do miss a car with a vinyl roof. Is this another long term project for me if I were to be selected … sure. I don’t like to rush through anything. You miss things if you do. It is the hunt for parts, the search and the meticulous time to restore a single part that I crave … but you do have to stabilize the car to have a foundation to build on as well.

In short, if you want to see it saved … I would enjoy that. I love doing the work and staying out of trouble doing it. Who knows, Jenny may even swing by with the Eliminator to give me a hand. Wish me luck …

Eric & Jenny

Okay, so I’m not really a Mercury guy - but neither was I a Mopar guy - but this short video shows what a Chevy guy can accomplish when getting involved with a classic car that has a genuine cool factor…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DnGN-voYwM

Don and the crew,

It’s been a while since I posted here on the forum but I’m always following. My journey with Cougars started in 2008. I had just transferred from Maryland to Washington state and started looking for a project. I grew up strictly around Ford, Lincoln and Mercurys my father is a huge mustang fan having multiple Boss cars, fastbacks and anything with a GT or GTA after it. So, I naturally followed suit and was actively looking for a 1968 GTA when I came across a 1968 Cougar standard. Nothing special a 302/c4 with zero options. I spent the next 2 years putting in the labor. Replacing the entire floor, and that dreaded cowl area boy, that was hard. Cleaned up the interior and daily drove it for the next year.

In late 2010 I had been full on bitten by the Cougar bug and wanted something a bit more interesting and came across a 68 XR7 Lime frost with dark ivy interior. I thought I’d found my forever car. In 2011 I was transferred again this time to the great state of Ohio well, I could only take 1 Cougar with me so the standard had to go and I drove my XR7 across the country and getting to know my new Cougar very well. I spent the next 4 years recruiting for the Navy in Ohio and completely tearing apart the Cougar. My first full on restoration went much better than I feel it should have. The XR7 turned out awesome!! And I’m proud to say I did it all from recovering the seats, rebuilding the transmission to laying down the paint and did it all in a 2 car garage unfortunately It’d be short lived.

2015 came around and transfer time it was. This time to Hawaii! But with the Navy only allowing 1 car to be shipped it had to be the family truckster. The XR7 went to a great new owner in Tennessee. It’s now 2017 and my family and I have found our way back to Washington state and trying to find the right Cougar to begin this journey again has been very difficult. I think this G car is it. As an avid muscle car fan and an aircraft mechanic by trade I have the skills to tackle such a car. It may take me years to do it but, I have the patients for that. I’m also a purist so know that it’ll be as close to factory as possible.

Thanks for the chance.

Matt

P.S. https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/finally-after-2-1-2-years-done-well-kinda/3758/1 If youd like to see how my last restoration turned out.

Hey WCCC,
My name is Blair Morgan, and unlike most of you guys and the guys in this thread, I didn’t grow up around them and haven’t had a ton of exposure to them (yet!) For any of you who attended your little meet and greet with the cruise/rally around Salem last summer, there was a crazy Canadian who brought a Torino Pace Car from Indy. That crazy guy happens to be my father, who I was fortunate enough to acquire the interest and passion for old American muscle. When I was 14, I saved up pennies from working as a referee for hockey in hopes of saving up enough to buy a cougar. I bid on many cougars off eBay, but wasn’t ever fortunate enough to be the lucky winner. I ended up picking up a rough and a bit ugly 69 Torino GT at the time; which over the following four years I learned the principles of engines, transmissions, differentials, body work, suspension and even the basics to upholstery from my father as we built a car together. We ended up capping off the build when I painted it a week before my high school graduation and was able to drive it the day of the grad itself. We took a 302 out of a 91 T-bird with an AOD and built a really solid car that I daily drive (when there’s no snow) and get to attend different shows together with my father. Not only did I follow his love for old Ford’s and Merc’s, but I followed in his footsteps and am just finishing up my Heavy Duty Mechanic trade.
Now, although I might not have quite the experience or exposure to these cars as others might,I have the dark horse of my dedicated and determined father who I’d love to share another car memory with that will get passed down generation after generation in our family as a legacy of who we are, and where we came from.

185744_1909308539151_50910_n.jpg

i would love have this car i have the time the parts and the money to restor it, I have aways wounted a cougar with a sunroof.

Hi there I have a 68 XR7 with 29k on the clock. Bought it form my good friend who’s brother pass away. I’ve known both brothers for over 30years when one passed I asked his brother if he would sell it please give me first crack. Call a year later and told me to come get it. He has a ton of parts that includes parts for a G model car. As of now I have it pieces. Rebuilding it. My 21 year old daughter is awaiting and helping me at times. It’s a long time to fix it but I want to to it right. Would love to win another XR7 to have for myself because my daughter will be getting one of them most likely the one with the sun roof… once finish she will be my side at every car show and cruises here in sunny SW Florida.

This isn’t a sob story, it’s an aggravating story.

I bought my 67 Cougar during my last deployment from eBay, sight unseen and from 7,500 miles away. I knew when I got back I was going to build my dream car. After I got back, I drove down to St Petersburg Florida and towed my rust bucket all the way home to Ft Bragg NC with a giant grin the whole way. I bought new floor pans, tires, a 351C 4V, seat covers… etc. I started pounding out dents and welding in the holes with every spare moment I had. Then it happened, the one thing everyone told me would happen when an Army Seargent marries a Marine Seargent… divorce.
I held on though, I didn’t care about the furniture, the things, the stuff, the whatever’s. I cared about my Cougar. But in the end I had to let it go. I had to sell her because it got messy and I was leaving the Army, ETSing after 8 years and with everything that was happening, I had no place to keep her. I had to watch her go, all the work I started, all the work I had to finish. I never even got to hear her fire up.
Now I live in Austin, I rebuild motorcycles in my spare time, and fix up anything vintage. My garage is littered with projects and tools. It’s how I relax after work. Every time I rebuild a motor I think about that Cleveland, every time I reupholster a seat I think of that ratty headliner, and every time I let myself compromise I think about the stupid decision I made to let her go. The Cougar not the Marine.
I’m writing this not because I think I’ll win, it’d be crazy awesome if I did, but because I need to vent and remind myself not to compromise like that ever again. I know I’ll find my Cougar one day. It’s just a matter of fate and time.

WOW a Calif. car!
Looks like it immediately moved to Northern Ohio for a high salt diet.

Hello my name is Richard Buckner. Dad of three beautiful very intelligent young lady’s. I live in Shannon Ms. “Fords” I loves fords, my dad is a ford guy so naturally my brothers and I grew up loving fords. When I was in high school it’s all I did was study cars. I used to know every motor ford built and there HP with various setups from the factory. There are several Fords that were my dream car, I just never had the money to own one that was completely restored. I would love the opportunity to participate in building this car from the ground up, I believe it would be a great experience, but to get to own it in the end, wow! I have grandkids now, to be able to pass one on to them would even be a greater pleasure and a Cougar GT. that I helped build. My wife always ask me, why do you like old stuff so much? Old cars are the days of real freedom, remanence of youthful America, a proud America. American steel. Other than this, to ride or touch something that someone before me owned that took pride in his or her work, to touch that to be part of that, is pride. I currently own a 68 cougar I have been trying to restore, it has been a snail slow project, let’s use it, I will sacrifice it to build this one. I love the classics, especially fords. Thank you for your consideration and participation Richard E. Buckner

The last post (at least currently, couldn’t figure out how to refer to it exactly) in this thread: https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/my-cougar-story/7591/1 I think was intending to post their want in this thread.

When I was young my parents decided they wanted to buy a muscle car, in the end they were deciding between a 69 Mustang and a 69 Cougar, and they decided to go with the Mustang because it was in better condition at the time. Since then my mother has always talked about how much she wished they had bought the Cougar and how great Cougars were. So being young and impressionable my indoctrination began. I couldn’t get enough of the Cougar, they looked angry, they looked fast, and they were just plain cool to my 4 year old self. I had Cougar Hot Wheels, Cougar posters, I was in love.
But then my parents got divorced and I ended up with my father (my mother began to suffer from substance abuse problems after the death of my sister). My father was not as mechanically inclined as my mother was, and so I no longer had all of the exposure to classic cars, and the fixation began to fade. However my fixation with speed never did.
My Uncle bought a speed bought and let me pilot it when I was 11…I maxed it out in the middle of Elephant Butte lake, he was not impressed. Then when I was 15 I went to a summer camp and learned to fly Cesnas and gliders. I managed to hit 175 MPH in the glider before my instructor decided we were going too fast and made me pull up on the stick. My next speeding issue came about when I was 17 and my mother bought a 2009 SS Impala….which I used to drag race Mustangs and Camaros when I stayed with her over the summer.

Then last year a Cougar passed me on the highway and it brought back my childhood fixation. I was like a boy in “love” with his first crush, I went through pictures of them day and night. This continued till I got in trouble with my wife for my obsession with a car I didn’t even own. So I set out to find one of my very own. However the market for decent condition cougars in southern New Mexico isn’t great. I found pictures of one that was gorgeous…from the side they posted pictures of. Then when I went to see if in person I found out that the passenger side was completely destroyed when the car was T-boned. My wife told me I wasn’t allowed to spend 10K on a car that would have been a write off by any insurance company, so I kept looking. Then I found another one within reasonable distance, so I went to check it out, and the cancer had eaten most of the car and frame, to the point that someone beyond my skill set would be needed for any repairs.

During the last year of searching my wife’s little brother caught the bug. He now loves cars and speed and cougars!!! Winning this car would be a great way for me to bond with him over the restoration, and to finally start the project that was the fixation of my childhood.

Colten (my wife’s brother) and I have discussed at length the things we would when we finally found a suitable car. We want to upgrade the suspension in the way you laid out in one of your videos, put in nice bucket seats, possibly stroke the 302 to 347, put a manual valve body in the trans, throw in an angry cam, nitrous cheater plate, gear vendor OD unit for sustained highway travel, and just generally have a beautiful nice car.

I have a bit of experience in resorations that will help me on this project. I help my best friend restore a 72 Bronco, a 74 Bronco, and a 69 Camaro. One of the Broncos was a complete frame off restoration. We had to weld in the floor pans, cut and repair the frame, rewire the truck from front to back (it had an electrical fire shortly before he bought it which melted almost everything), we rebuilt his 302, and the Trans that was behind it. Then we upgraded the steering and brakes. It was a great project that helped me learn a lot about classic vehicles and the passion that goes into them.

I also feel that this would be a good way to help keep Colten out of trouble as he is about to turn 15. You can’t get into too much trouble when all your time is spent working on a car.

So yeah that’s why I would like to win this cougar.

Thanks for the opportunity to restore this rare Cougar.
My name is Bruce Norval and I live in in Chippewa Falls, Wi.
I have had a 1967 Cougar since I was 16 years old, I’m now 56, so I know Cougars. My current daily driver is a 1996 white Cougar XR-7 and before that a red 1996 Cougar XR-7. I could go on but this is about a home for this 1968 XR7-G. Over the years I have bought other peoples old Cougars and took all the good parts off to be stored in my garage attic. Here’s the reason I decided to submit this essay, you see all my life I have promised my wife a 1968 Cougar with a 302. That’s her specifications for a Cougar of her own. Mary doesn’t want a hot rod like my 1967 Cougar XR-7, 390, 4V, 4 speed, 4:10 … She wants a Cougar to cruise around town in and this car seems perfect for her. I know a great deal about Cougars and have been a member of CCOA almost from the beginning. I have bought many of my replacement parts from WCCC and a few others who shall remain nameless. We both have good jobs with money to complete this restoration and a good home with a two car garage, the 1967 occupies one half but needs a “sister car” to keep him company on those long cold winter nights here in Wisconsin. I hope we will be given serious consideration as the clock is ticking for me to keep my promise to the women I love, Mary, not the '67, but I love her almost as much. Thanks and keep on dreaming.

This may be against the rules I don’t know? I would like to submit this for one of my best friends in the world John McGlenon. See John and I grew up in a small Kentucky town playing in a junkyard Absolute Car nuts. Fate took us into very different directions. He went on to drag race work on Ford’s and try and build his dream car I became disabled from late onset MD and my ride is now a power wheelchair. During the last 40 years I’ve gone through a lot and John has been a constant get out of trouble free card. When I got gimped up if I needed a starter repaired in the rain and cold he was there freezing his butt off working for free. When I had to move under duress he was always there. Basically John has been a constant friend and more like a brother. In 40 plus years I’ve never been able to give him anything in return he wouldn’t take it. Here’s where the cougar becomes very special and a very rare occurrence. In all of our years a first-generation cougar has been the one car that never became available within our budgets or the condition which warranted restoration. John bleeds Ford blue. I share a love of Ford products going back to when I was a very small kid. Of cars I’ve owned 69 Torino GT 67 Mustang Coupe 72 Torino 77 Maverick Pinto Capri and everyone was a delight to work on Drive and own. John has multiple Fox body Mustangs but it right now no Classic Ford. His time right now is divided between work running a animal rescue with his significant other trying to get additional space for the critters attempting to drag race taking care of my needs 30 miles away and the needs of half the state of Kentucky sometimes it seems when things break. He is kind of guy he’s always there has too little time for himself but keeps going like the Energizer Bunny. I know this probably won’t actually get him the car and I may get flame for posting it because it probably sounds sappy. But I have to because if there’s a one-in-a-million shot giving back something to my best friend that he is really truly wanted enough to probably sell a kidney that would be Priceless to me. This is a Grail car for John. Having Windsor power plant means he has the motor transmission and all sorted parts. He also has the help of the local Obi-Wan Kenobi of Classic Ford the talents of our friends all capable especially in body work and paint. This project would be a great payback for all of us to give this guy something better than cash. I certainly hope this gets seen. As I said my chances are very slim but if you don’t try you definitely don’t win. My time on Earth is short. There’s not a lot of really cool things to happen anymore that’s just a fact. I think about taking one ride in this car finished with my friend at the wheel that’s just freaking cool. Someone thank you for having this contest because if nothing else I got to post this and my friend may get recognized or see it himself and know that his efforts sacrifice and sweat we really appreciate it. Every single one of us he has bailed out all these decades. All of us together could do this car Justice. I take that back we could make this car as I’ve heard kids say epic and it would rock. We’re all in our 50s and it would be cool to rock. And it would be very cool to put this car in the hands of someone who will truly appreciate and give it the attention it really deserves. I am biased but there’s not another human being on the planet that would love this car more I don’t care what anyone says. I would be a close second. Thank you