What color were the Eliminator stripes on black cars?

Okay, Lets say you have a black Eliminator. What color were the original stripes?

Black Eliminators ?

The stripes would be black or white depending on the original color. :slight_smile:

Bill Quay’s black Eliminator had black stripes

I think there was only 3 black Eliminators but can’t find the details

I think this one goes to Leon: black on black is the answer.

Okay now Leon. what should be know?

After looking thru all my eliminator pics I find All 70s had black. In 69 Blue cars got white. Orange cars with white interior got white, while black interior cars got black. Yellow and white cars all got black. My 69 Cyclone book states dark colors(black,dark blue,dark green,maroon) got the light stripes and all other colors got black. My guess would be in 69 a black car would get white unless special ordered with black. In 1970 it would have to be black as it appears that was the only color available. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

As far as I know, and according to TCCN … http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com/elim/ … Eliminators did not come in black. Neither 69’s or 70’s.

Well, we know a few were built, in 1970 at least as Bill Quay had one, and there are also several pictures of a black 1970 Eliminator in David Newhardt’s book, Mercury Muscle Cars

Here is a link to one on MC.net.
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?58135-The-Eliminator-hath-landed

Here’s another:

Although you can’t see the black stripes in the pic, they’re there.

I have literature from the fall of '69, introducing the '70 model cougars to the dealers. In the Eliminator section, it states that striping will be available in black or argent. Later literature only references black stripes. I’m not sure exactly why or when the silver stripes got canned, but at least for a while dealers had reason to believe that they could be had on an Eliminator. Which may (or may not) help explain why these cars were ordered, but a black Eliminator with argent stripes would be a really striking combo, in my opinion.