What is this cable/transducer?

Is this for cruise control? It’s in a 70 xr7.

No not part of a cruise control but instead part of an emission system called IMCO used with some engine and transmission combinations starting in 1970

1 Like

I didn’t see that coming! The car is a Cleveland/auto, Thanks Jeff

Yes, that is the speed sensor for the distributor modulator emission system (aka DIST-O-VAC) which as Jeff noted was part of the IMCO (IMproved COmbustion) system used on 1970 California cars with 351C (and maybe others).
It was discussed here also:
What the heck would this actually be for? - Cougar Community - Classic Cougar Community Forum

It’s in my parts/model car, it’s not a California car.

Looks like Jeff has done better research than me, and found it was used on ALL 1970 Mustangs and Cougars with 351C 4V and auto transmission.

Dist-O-Vac Application? - 351C 4V | Vintage Mustang Forums (vintage-mustang.com)

The system has a whole lot of complexity just to disable distributor vacuum advance at speeds below 20 mph (and if temp is above 60 deg). The result is retarded timing for more complete fuel burn, but also more sluggish acceleration below 20 mph.

Ford was already struggling to meet emissions standards with the 351C the very first year it was used. The free-breathing Cleveland was doomed from the start.

All 351C 4V cars, my base H code 351C 2V doesn’t have it.

Correct - edited my post to clarify. Thanks!

In 1970, it is only on 351C 4V cars with an automatic transmission. It was not used on any of the 1970 manual equipped cars.

It’s no wonder those things were the first thing people yanked off and threw in the trash back in the 70’s.

I know, right? I always get a laugh when I see one on eBay described as rare. :wink: