What’s The Best Idler Arm On The Market

So, with a slew of idler arm (power steering type) options out there and prices all over the place, which is the best quality, brand, or recommended one out there?

If NOS is out of reach, I always thought MOOG was a premium product. I have a listing of an entire Moog setup for sale listed on here. Idler arm, inner/outer tie rods, adjusting sleeves and strut rod bushings. I went back all NOS.

1 Like

I went MOOG for my idler arm, and my ball joints.

1 Like

Something to be aware of (if true). My MOOG parts were “problem solver - made in U.S.A.”; but apparently not all are (info by other):
Jeepkruzer

175 posts · Joined 2014

#14 · Aug 7, 2015

Just a little FYI here: It’s more important than ever to be an informed buyer.
Moog is trying to compete against all the crap that ebay and your discount auto stores sell. This cheapie product line that Moog now has begins with the letter “R”. It usually comes in a plain box and will PROBABLY be made in China or some other third-world country. Moog uses this line to stay competitive with everybody else. This line will NOT (at least right now) be their “Problem Solver” line.
They still have their good parts and their premium line begins with the letter “C” or “K”. If you go looking on RockAuto and you see a “Problem Solver” in the description, it should begin with “C” or “K”. Now that does not absolutely mean that the part will be made in USA, but it does mean that it is mean to be a higher-quality part than their “R” line. The “C” and “K” line should have, at least as of right now, some color on the box that you buy, which is currently white, yellow, and blue.
If you want the better quality parts, you do NOT want to buy the “R” line. It’s as simple as that.

1 Like

None…put a rack in it

The one sold by Chockostang is the best. Many, like the Moog part for example, are not made like the originals to save money. The original style is quite different, and uses more material. Normally Moog stuff is pretty good but in this case they are not.

Thanks, very informative!

Thanks Royce!

Open Tracker Racing makes a nice unit. Your budget may be a determining factor.

https://opentrackerracing.com/shop/roller-idler-arm-power-steer-1967-1970/ $95

$300

1 Like

The Moog parts I have came from a Moog distributor. All boxes are yellow and blue. Idler arm is K8158 and strut rod bushings are K8157. The four tie rods and two sleeves all say made in the USA on the box. Just fyi.

:+1:

There’s a problem with the Open tracker and Moog idler arms. They are not made right. Compare to the Chockostang arm:

1 Like

I have two NOS ( C7ZZ-3350-A ), one used + the original idler arm to my 1969 Cougar.
This chockostang idler arm is a dead ringer for the originals, except for one detail. The originals never used a cotter pin to hold the lower castellated nut onto the bracket - there was no drilled through hole to allow for the use of the cotter pin. The protruding threads were ‘swedged’ to flatten out the threads and thus prevent the nut from backing off. Other than that, and the lack of the casting / engineering numbers ( would show C7ZA-3355-B ) on the arm, it is as close as it available for a 1967 - 1970 p/s idler arm.

1 Like

Royce,

I have the Open Tracker arm installed now, but struggle to see what is different. Castle nut vs a fixed mount for the arm to the frame mount aside, the geometry looks the same. I have some steering issues when the system is warm that I’ve blamed on my Borgeson conversion, but it may be the idler?