What vehicle is this bellhousing from?

I had this early Ford FE bell-housing giving to me with some other stuff but doing a search on the net comes up blank. Does anyone know what this bell is for other than the obvious early narrow toploader. Think it could be used in a later 67+ Mustang or Cougar with an FE?

Part Number: CAK-6394-A

It looks like a late 50s to early 60s bell house for a FE. I would stay away from it in a Cougar or Mustang. The earlier T10s and top loaders for a FE were all for full size cars. They do not work well in a Cougar or Mustang.

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what makes them bad for use in cougars and mustangs? Just curious, I’ve been comparing it side by side with a late 60s car FE bell and although there are some visual differences, structurally and dimensionally everything appears in the right places for proper fitment.

Isn’t the starter mount different? I was under the impression that it was too high and also maybe a different size than the later bell housings. I don’t know any of this for a fact, just repeating what I have heard in the past.

You might be right on the starter differences. I think I’ll take both bellhousings and install them on the back of an old 390 I have sitting around and see what’s different. To bad if it is different, apart from needing a good cleaning it appears to be a nice aluminum bellhousing, I thought all the early ones were mostly cast iron?

From my experience the tail housing on the transmission for a full size car has the mount in a different location. As well as the shifter most likely will not line up with the hole in the floor. One could make them work, just a lot of playing around. The starter location can be a problem, but I can not say for sure.

Hi, no this is just a bell housing I’m inquiring about. I have a proper toploader for my Cougar already. :slight_smile:

From what I’m now told this was from a 63~64 Galaxies FE and probably a 427 car. The only problem I’ve benn told with someone using them on a later cougar or mustang is that the starter housing may hit the trans tunnel but not always.