When you were 16 years old what car did you dream about owning?

I bought all kinds of muscle car magazines back in the mid 80s; Hot Rod, Craft Craft, Mustang Monthly, etc. One day I saw an article about a 68 Cougar. It was sporting Centerlines and was a semi looking drag car. I knew it was the car I wanted. I finally got one and wanted to turn it into a convertible. Sold it off like an idiot and years later my now wife bought me one. So,I can say that I now have my dream car. :dance:

My Dad’s close friends, wife bought a new 1967 Cougar. As a kid, I thought that it was the neatest thing, with hidden headlights and sequential tail lights. Two of the neighbors had really cool cars. Guy across the street had a 1963 split window Corvette and a 1966 Buick Riviera, he also owned a Shell gas station. The other neighbor had a Jaguar E type 4.2.
Fast forward to age 15-16 when I got my permit and license. 1976-77, I really liked Corvettes, but those are hardly practical cars for a young male driver. The auto shop teacher at my high school drove a 1973 El Camino 454SS, I thought that I wanted an El Camino as a first car.
Since it was my money that I would be spending on a car, I came to the realization that something more economical would be smarter. Working part time and commuting to a State College were in my future.
My first car was a used, 1976 Volkswagen Scirocco. That car forced me to learn automotive electrical trouble shooting.
I did get to take my behind the wheel drivers test with a 1970 El Camino though.

Not a Cougar, but drove a 64 Galaxy in High School that had a 390, but swapped in a 406 tripower I found in a wrecked 62 Galaxy. I’m glad we had a High School auto shop where I was able to do the swap…very stout motor.

I miss all of that room from a Galaxy engine bay vs Cougars with big blocks :slight_smile:

62 Chevy 409 of course 4 speed dual quads and posi
I dreamed of finding a grandmas car , Biscayne, plain Jane with poverty caps.
Fast forward…I built one from a Cali, 6cyl 3 on the tree grandmas car to a 482 ci W engine with 2-4s and a t-56 6 speed, 9 inch rear with 4:11 posi. It looks like a barn find on the outside, but everything is new underneath. A lot of new car updates hidden in plain site.
6739CC8E-6356-4FA3-B8B0-E6F697DD8C2D.jpeg
A443FE6E-EBF2-42BC-AE13-126F130E2906.jpeg

What I wanted…Early Bronco,

What I got…90ish Toyota pickup

Still have never owned an early bronco :laughing:

brand-new '69 Mustang

A beautiful car!

1965 Pontiac Tempest

Not so much.

Ah, the fine art of parenting…

1 Like

It wasn’t the Mustang, but I thought it was gorgeous!

1 Like

When I was 16 my dad had a 4 speed KR convertible so I really didn’t have to dream. My brother and I restored it (it took 1st in concours at saac 10) so my dad figured I was responsible enough to drive it. All I can say is that by some miracle I never damaged it… except maybe the tires lol
Jim

1 Like

1958 Plymouth Belvedere 2 door hardtop with the 350 Golden Commando. Think Christine.

I wanted a 65 Mustang convertible but I didn’t know much back then.

When I was 15, my Dad offered me my choice of two project cars - a 1969 Cougar XR7 convertible, and a 1970 Mustang Mach 1. I wanted the Mach 1, and we took it for a drive that ended with a flat tire. We jacked the car up, and the car didn’t move. Apparently the torque box and frame rails were shot. So that ended the Mustang dream, and I ended up with the 69 Cougar XR7 convertible. I’ve owned a number of classics since, and not surprisingly in my garage today sits a 70 Mach 1 and 1969 Cougar XR7 convertible. The nice part about being an adult now is I can have both of the cars and don’t have to choose!

1 Like