Wiring harness compatibility xrz/eliminator to standard cougar?

Can I install an xr7/eliminator harness in my standard cougar?

It can, and has been done. It is best to have the complete set of harnesses. The only real difference between the XR-7 and Eliminator harness(that I recall) is the jumper for the XR-7 dash switches. With out it none of the curtesy lights will work.

What year and model do you have? The wiring can be year and model specific. It’s not just a plug and play deal.

Thanks Badcatt

1970 mercury cougar standard.

I forgot to say I purchased an xr7/eliminator harness fromm wccc

I did this in 1988 on my standard. I bought the XR-7 under dash harness, instrument cluster, center dash switches and the engine crown harness from a junkyard. You’ll also need the oil pressure sender and make sure to inspect every bit of the resistance wiring to make sure nothing has been cut or altered. I didn’t buy the quarter C pillar lighting, nor will the low fuel light work, but for the most part it was a direct replacement.

In retrospect, the only thing I really got out of the swap that mattered while driving was the tachometer, and the factory XR-7 one isn’t particularly amazing. You’ll do much better to get a standard instrument cluster blank bezel converted to a tachometer by Rocketman, keep the clean look of a standard dash and avoid all the other headaches.

1 Like

Better change the alternator harness.

Thank You. I thought the 1970 xr7/eliminator harness would not work with my 1970 standard cougar, Do you know what type of oil pressure sender is available?

Do you know what type of Alternator harness?

Mike, The XR-7 harness uses the one for a Amp meter. This one. Alternator Wiring Harness - XR7 / Eliminator - w/ Ammeter - CONCOURS CORRECT - Repro ~ 1970 Mercury Cougar / 1970 Ford Mustang ( 1970 Mercury Cougar, 1970 Ford Mustang ) at West Coast Classic Cougar :: The Definitive 1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar Parts Source

But if you go back to the Standard harness you will need this one,

Thanks Badcatt. Thanks for your help.