XR7G 4 Speed Pictures of Shifter

I’m hoping someone has pictures of an XR7G console with a 4 speed. I know the console is the same as automatics but I’d like to see how everything looks with a manual transmission in place. Shift pattern plate placement, boot and shifter knob.

Steven

Here’s one I could get my hands on quickly, I’m sure I’ve got more somewhere.

Phillip

Thanks Philip! That’s exactly what I was looking for. I want to keep a stock looking appearance with my T5 swap. My biggest question was how the factory shifter boot looked with the G console. If you have any other pictures I would love to see them.

On a different note I know you’ll appreciate this. I played around on Signlab 10 and designed my own Coral Gables Lincoln Mercury trunk lid emblem. I don’t want to use our original dealership emblem so I’m going to use this one on my convertible conversion. It’s a small tribute to my Dad and Grandfather for building the dealership and starting the family Cougar enjoyment. :smiley:

Steven

That’s cool Steven! - so how does “Signlab 10” work? Do you 3D print from that graphic you created?

I can’t remember, have you seen the attached newspaper clippings?

Philip I have not seen that advertisement before. That is awesome!
Signlab is a design program that we use to make signs for the City where I work. I’m actually looking at 3D and engraving systems for the upcoming budget to see what’s compatible.
Do you have a higher resolution image of that advertisement you could share with me?

Steven

I suspect you have seen these two items.
$_57.JPG
4 speed shift pattern.jpg

A little different view
G 4 speed knob 3.JPG

Has it ever been determined if the wooden shifter knob were installed at Smith before delivery to the original owners?

Or were they relegated to over the counter accessories, due to the fact that they weren’t ready in time to make production?

• Phillip

Thanks for the pictures Bill. I have a vintage Amco Cougar shifter ball that I’m planning to use. The only issue is that it’s a fine thread and my T5 is a course thread.

I do like the walnut knob so I may turn one on my lathe and make my own Cougar insert later in my project.

Steven

Steven, I think the chrome version was used on 71 or newer.

Those knobs were sold in the checkout line at auto part stores in the 1970’s. They had matching Cougar key fobs and other items too.