Young cougar owner, in need of advice

Hello, fellow cougar owners!

I’ve recently purchased myself a 1967 Cougar XR7 and for the most part she starts and runs good. However, when I get on the gas, i hear a tick, exhaust leak? Not sure. I’m wondering if anyone knows of a good reliable shop in or around the Dearborn area? I would greatly appreciate any advice on the matter, thanks in advance

Maximus

First things first: Put it in the dark (closed garage at night; or outside without exterior lighting) fire it up and follow the towers of the distributor all the way down to the respective plugs. Maybe as simple as a cracked distributor cap or bad plug boot. You will see the arcing in the dark.

Could be a lifter ticking. I use Hot Shot Stiction Eliminator. Basically a high detergent oil for diesel trucks but everything I have put it in runs Better! It will clean out any kind of build up.

Thank you for taking the time and sharing some advice! It’s greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for the advice and the product recommendation, greatly appreciated!

Advice: If you use a shop for lots of things you’ll go broke quickly. Rates in Metro Detroit are about $120/hr last I checked. Maybe higher now.

You’ve come to the right group. There are many forum contributors around here. I’m in Royal Oak. Wawazat is in Beverly HIlls. There are members in the Grosse Pointes, and many others I’m sure I’m not aware of.

Also check out FMRCOA.ORG and MOCSEM.COM.

Hey another Detroit area guy!!! Howdy and happy to help. I haven’t had much luck with local shops as the ones I talked to had no desire to work on old cars generally. I’m happy to help if I can but I agree a general tune up probably makes sense to start (plugs, plug wires, distributor cap/rotor/points/condensor, fuel filter). I know your pain regarding exhaust leak as I just pulled the headers off mine to install copper gaskets and locking washers on the fasteners as I had an exhaust leak too.

You might want to start at a muffler shop for a diagnosis too. Just a thought.

I got a recommendation from a friend for Oval Auto in Livonia. They show current vintage Ford products on the FB page.

A 3 or 4 foot length of garden or heater hose held up to your ear will find the noise and not cut off/burn your body parts

1 Like

I use a stethoscope with a length of vacuum hose on it. It can find an exhaust leak pretty easily. You could also have a friend power brake it to isolate the general area to search.

It could be a slight exhaust manifold leak , if it is just the top of the pressure pulse getting through, it can sound like a tick… otherwise an oil flush run (get it hot) then clean fresh oil , in case a lifted is gummed up…