1967 with a 289 header suggestions and tips

So long story short I inherited a 1967 Cougar with a 289 from my grandpa. I am wanting to leave it pretty much untouched internally in the motor until it needs to be rebuilt because my grandpa built what’s currently in it. I would like to put some headers on it and redo the exhaust system because it currently has stock exhaust manifolds and then it’s straight piped back. I am looking for suggestions on headers. I am wanting to do long tubes, but I have read people have had issues with long tubes and fitment. It’s a 289 with an automatic transmission. If you have any questions feel free to ask

Most Long tubes will fit, You will need a power steering ram drop bracket to clear the header pipe. Depending on your ride height they may hang low to the ground as well.

Most recommend the Tyi Y header setup on a 289-302. The fit is better then long tubes and they tend to improve low end torque which is more beneficial to normal driving.

Having done that mod (with my customization since I actually have a C6 behind my '67 289 - had to flare the collectors out for the wider pan) - I would carefully consider your desires. The ‘drop bracket’ impacts the geometry such that you get a lot of steering resistance when backing up and turning (let alone ground clearance issues). Yes, the long tube headers are a slight performance advantage - but let’s be real - these cars even in peak performance are slugs compared to many SUVs today. Is the pain to drive worth it? In my situation - no. I took the long tube headers off retrofit the late 80s shorty headers (and had to do some clearance on the PS box). If I had it to do over again (I had a spare set of the shorties) - I would have simply bought the performance cast iron factory style manifolds and been done with it. If you’re really interested in long tube -send me a PM and make me an offer on my long tubes. They are hooker.