1968 RESTORATION HELP!!!

@xr7g428 yeah they really are :slight_smile: just wish i could have a few more of those victories hahaha;)

Just think,… in a couple months if you continue to ask questions; eat, sleep and breath Cougars, you will be insured an “A” on your project. If only calculus were as interesting!

Glad you got it figured out! Sounded like a hood lock issue but hey, you can’t always be right!
Can’t wait to see some pics.

SHES ALIVE!!! i got the keys made and cleaned the carb just a little bit then after just a couple of seconds she fired right up!!! she sounds beautiful! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: so i took her out and drove her around the block (i would have gone out farther but its not licenced or insured yet) and i came upon my next problem, first off i can tell by the sound that shes gonna need probably a new throwout bearing and while im there ill probably replae the slave cylinder as well anyways, when i go to shift (it has a manual three speed) as i am letting out the clutch it shakes like crazy, i hope i dont need an entire new clutch, but maybe just a new flywheel, what are your guys thoughts? (Im sure its not my shifting because the only car ive owned so far in my life is a standard so I do know how to drive stick haha) anyways all in all it was a great day for my sexy cougar :slight_smile:

No slave cylinder…it’s a mechanical clutch. Unless of course, someone has changed it over the years.

Glad to hear it’s alive, though! One hurdle jumped, 999,999 more to go!

Shaking…check motor mounts? Not sure if one being split would cause shaking, though, just a thought!

oh ok that is something i did not know but if it was a motormount issue wouldnt the car shake the entire time or when i am revving it? it only shakes when i am reliesing the clutch for a gear change or when i am starting off in first.
@tmh @coug67
sorry i had some issues uploading or else i would have uploaded these sunday
[album]642[/album][album]643[/album][album]644[/album][album]645[/album][album]646[/album][album]647[/album]

When was the last time the car was on the road? Have you serviced all the lubricated parts?? Do you know if you have an open rear end…seriously or a trac loc. Could just need some lube and run-in time…still serious!

I guess if someone had to repair an upper control arm bushing…that would be one way to do it :eek2:

Nice!!! Man reminds me when I first got mine goin. Same color as my car too. Got her running drove around the block then parked it and started ripping the motor out.
Prepare to get obsessed with your car haha.

@67.5xr7 it has been seriously a very long time since it has really been out on the road haha but i havnt lubricated all the parts qutie yet i just checked the engine oil and radiator fluid to make sure it was ok to start, and im not sure if it is open or trac. lock how do i check???

@coug67 yeah haha well i dont know that i will rip the motor out but yeah now i really can get started :slight_smile: :slight_smile: if i can post a video ill post my first starting of it

Well if it’s running and driving after being dormant for and extended period of time…that’s a super big plus! I would suggest a full service lube as the next plan of action. A trac loc diff also has clutches (clutch packs). As far as telling,…well if it’s worn… difficult. Have you ran your door tag info against the" data plate decoder",…you will learn a lot. http://www.classiccougarcommunity.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=94

To check for open vs limited slip vs locking rear end,can’t you just put the back end up on jack stands and turn one wheel and see what the other does? Open rear means the other wheel won’t spin at all, limited slip means other wheel will turn in opposite direction, locker means you can’t even turn the wheel, no?

Not exactly… Open rear will have both wheels turning in opposite directions. Locked or limited slip (posi) will have both wheels turn in the same direction.

Well that’s what I meant of course! I knew there was a way to test, just got the details wrong I guess. :slight_smile:

While you’re at it if you have two people you can have one guy watching the driveshaft and the other turning one wheel (with the second wheel on the ground so it’s held in place) and counting revs of tire and driveshaft and then you know what your final gear ratio is, too.

The shaking while the clutch is being released is a classic symptom of needing to replace the clutch and pressure plate. It’s not really very hard to do. You’re gunna really love it when you’re done.

:buck: :mrgreen: 1968 Mercury Cougar sexy sounds - YouTube this is how she sounds :dogpile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Lx7chd5X8&feature=related

@67.5xr7 hahahaha almost if i only had the brake fluid filled and the clutch tweaked haha then i would do that

just an update, i filled up the brake fluid and blead the system and the breaks are now in working order, im having trouble with the door locks though, it is just sticky and it wont turn to lock what should i do for that?

check that its not just sticky they just flat out wont turn like they are just stuck i was thinking about spraying some wd40, or brake part cleaner in there maybe lubricate and clean it up then maybe it will turn? or will i skrew up the locks by doing that ?

i was told to use white lithium grease for the door innards.