1969 428 Vin code q&a

I’m looking @ buying a claimed 1969 428 ram air 4 speed, bright blue metallic/ blue. The car has a Marty report confirming many things. I need to go look at the car in person, but everything adds up via pictures, but a few things. Pictures of some of the vin’s. I think the Vin on the in fender well has an H not the R the Marty report claims. Also what appears to be a Vin # ( not sure where this is located. Think it’s the trunk under weather stripping) has 4 28 '12. Is this sugnifficant? Did not see that discussed. I’ve attached some pictures. Is anything odd here? I also don’t see the big battery group on the Marty report your site claim’s must be part of a 428 ( group 27F). Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2 VINs on the car: driver’s side inner fender (looks like your pic) & a tag on the DS dash, readable through the windshield. Original engine & trans would most likely have the unit # stamped on them. Other stampings on these cars are part#s and date codes.

What does the seller say about the discrepancy? Is there a “story” but a mountain of original paperwork to back it up? What VIN is on the title/registration?

The Group 27 tray & battery are not called out on my invoice/Marti (but I have an XR-7). Pretty sure it was just part of the equipment you got with the CJ option.

Have you checked this car with the Eliminator registrar (Dave W)? I would not touch an Eliminator without checking w/him. What does the VIN on the dash say?

I think this one was discussed before. The fender VIN is incorrectly stamped at the factory. It happened, I have seen Mustangs with Cougar body numbers on the fender apron(91 or 92 instead of 01 or 02). Do check with Dave W. His user name here is 70b302cat. You can email him at eliminator@cougarclub.org, or just go to the forum section for the Eliminator registry https://classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=39

Thanks. I’ll have to investigate further. You’ve given me some great input. Ya that fender tag freacked me out, but it’s well documented and it’s for sell by a reputable seller. 100% positive sales over many years. Cars got a few other problems. Missing the ram air air cleaner, rear spoiler is black not body color and it has 80’s period slot mags. Missing original wheels All the issues aside I feel it’s priced accordingly. I’ll have to check with Dave W. Cheers.

Thanks. I’ll have to investigate further. You’ve given me some great input. Ya that fender tag freacked me out, but it’s well documented and it’s for sell by a reputable seller. 100% positive sales over many years. Cars got a few other problems. Missing the ram air air cleaner, rear spoiler is black not body color and it has 80’s period slot mags. Missing original wheels All the issues aside I feel it’s priced accordingly. I’ll have to check with Dave W. Cheers.

Like Neal said, we did discuss this one a while back when it was first listed.

The group 27 battery is “standard” with the 428, so it won’t show up on the Marti Report
The 4 28 W2 stamped on the fender lip is a production date and stamping plant code. Cool coincidence, and likely original to the car since the date precedes the car’s build date by a month or so.

A few things that I see looking through the pics;

Interior for the most part looks pretty good - nice decor panels and the camera case dash panels look to be in good shape.
Some liberties with the rear window package tray and speakers
radio bezel is showing some age

Rust showing at the tops of the fender aprons where they overlap the shock towers, and the driver’s fender has a crack at the top of the shock tower.
Missing many rare and expensive 428CJ parts. If you are not concerned with “correctness”, then don’t worry about it - also, you could still use this as a bargaining tool :wink:

• carburetor, valve covers, intake manifold, ram-air air cleaner, snorkel, smog, fan shroud, dip stick…
  • radiator looks to be a Ford, but you should check the part numbers on it to see if it is correct. 4-speed big block radiator is a hen’s tooth!

Rear spoiler should be body color, and it looks like it is mounted pretty far up the trunk to me!

Wow, did they shred the trunk mat lifting it up to get pics underneath? :frowning:

You should definitely check the numbers on the drivetrain when you go see the car. They claim “original motor and trans”… they should be able to prove it.
Look for the partial VIN stamps on the engine and transmission (something like 9F577337, but may just be the 6 digits). Stamping could be very “weak” and possibly missing some numbers - often they were done fast and could be sloppy.

• Eng = back of block just below driver’s side head. Sometimes they were stamped on the head itself, so check back of driver’s head and front of passenger head.
  • Trans = top lip where it meets the bell housing. MIGHT be visible looking down the back of the engine. Again, partial VIN, might be sloppy or missing digits.
    At the very least, check the casting dates. These should be a month or so ahead of the cars build date (June 9th, 1969)
  • Eng = near the oil filter adapter
  • Trans = upper edge along the passenger side of the case. Also a date on the tail piece as well.
    Check the numbers on the distributor.
    Check the numbers on the heads. Make sure they are CJ heads.
    Check the rear end. Make sure it is a 9", and has the N-case pumpkin.

Before you go, be sure to read through the Component ID and other sections on the 428CobraJet.org website;
Component Identification | Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry

This is definitely a rare car though, and it has a cool, tough look to it. I think if you can get it for the right price you could drive it as is (assuming it is safely drivable!) and take it to car shows and not be embarrassed by it. It is what is it: a hot rod that’s been rode hard, and cleaned up for another go-round!

Like they state, 1 of 81 Eliminators built in 1969 with the R-code engine and 4-speed transmission. About 34 of those are “currently accounted for”, including this one.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes! If you have any other questions, please don’t hesistate to ask!

Mike B.

The window sticker shows competition handling package and its not on the Marti not many mustangs had this let alone cougars.

Dave W got back to me. Said it’s been in the registry since 1987. So real documented 428, 4 speed, ram air, elliminator. Suggested I get PS inner fender and dash Vin. The H on the driver’s side could be a factory mistake. I guess the worse case would be an wreck required a replacement. That’d be a deal breaker. I didn’t see that crack on the DS fender. Good eye. I owned a 69 back in the 80’s. Fake elliminator w std 351w. It had the black deluxe interior even though it was a std car. It was brunt orange w black vynil top. I had it painted competition orange and added all the elliminator stuff. Been looking for a fake or real for a few years. Not interested in shows just weekend short road trips. This one spoke to me for the rareness. I’m Pretty OCD. I’d like to use the flaws as a bargaining tool and correct it all over time. Im very mechanical, but can’t paint. You guys have been very informative. I’m kinda freaking out now cause I feel out of my elliment. I’m wandering about what probs ya can’t see. Maybe a restored fake would be less pressure. I hate to travel. I wish I could pay to send an knowledgeable person to do a 3rd party inspection. They offer that, but I’d worry about whom they really are representing. I’ll contact seller this week about all the things you and Dave suggested. The answers will go along way to my decision.

Contact seller with all these questions. Someone s got a deposit on it so basically sold.

If you look close, you can see the invoice says

CJ 428-4V ENGINE
w/COMPETITION HANDLING PKG

^ they came together, so it isn’t called out seperately on the Marti Report.

That’s very interesting thanks Mike.