1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428 Cobra Jet Ram Air Convertible for SALE

WOW!!!

1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428 Cobra Jet Ram Air Convertible for sale on BaT Auctions - ending August 6 (Lot #157,374) | Bring a Trailer

1 Like

WOW indeed!!!

I predict this one will do well. Provenance is impeccable, options are perfect. Nothing not to like.

1 Like

Gorgeous and sold new in Silver Spring Maryland.

• Phillip

Looks pretty good for a 35 year old resto. Are these the wheel covers that would’ve been factory equipped?

Hubcap / Wheel Cover - Spinner - Grade B - Used ~ 1968 - 1970 Mercury Cougar ( 1968 Mercury Cougar, 1969 Mercury Cougar, 1970 Mercury Cougar ) at West Coast Classic Cougar :: The Definitive 1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar Parts Source (cougarpartscatalog.com)

No, since there is no wheel cover called out on the invoice, a 69 XR7 would have this one.

Thanks Dave, I did some digging trying to determine the various wheel options available for '69’s and couldn’t come up with much. We’re the only available covers the ones you mentioned and the wire wheel covers?

On a XR7 you could get the “deluxe” wheel cover with the spinner center which is what you posted and the wire wheel cover. In addition you could get the Styled Steel Wheel (5 spoke) not the Eliminator wheel.

1 Like

Do you all want to guess total price?
Ill start at $93,500 (I know hopeful!)

The wheels are incorrect, as are the tires, the hood stripe , and the Cobra Jet chrome on the hood scoop. Also the door edge guards have been omitted. None of these will affect the final price.

1 Like

I’m curious - what’s incorrect with the hood stripe?

I think this will go well north of 100k. What’s not to like?

Hood lanyards not affixed to the car like that. Chin spoiler? 8K tach?

Aftermarket export brace. The space saver spare tire is not on the Marti report. The headlight tension springs do not appear to be hooked up.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

It was an option not on the Marti Report. Hood pins too.

The documentation include is really cool. Love the letter from Kevin.

I was under the impression that R code non-eliminators received a hood stripe?

1 Like

Sean, that is my understanding as well. The power dome hood stripes were part of the 428cj engine option both with and without ram air on non Eliminators. Hood pins were only available with ram air and were an extra cost cost option.

I have been restoring a near-twin to this car, and it’s been incredibly difficult. Hoping I can make it to the finish line some day! Certainly one of the ‘top cats’ for 1969.

1 Like

I’ll go with 97500, but seems it could easily top 100k.

Looked over the paperwork - love that stuff.

Looks like the Cougar was bought new by someone in Arlington/Fairfax VA, then the car stayed in that area until the late '80s.

I am surprised I never ran across it as I lived in that area at that time. I even took my vehicles for service at the same service stations! I would have freaked out to see that beautiful CJ 'vert.

• Phillip