1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428 Cobra Jet Ram Air Convertible for SALE

Phillip,

I agree. I was born and raised in Arlington/Falls Church thru the 60’s - 20’s. I attended most of the cruise nights back in the early 80’s and don’t remember any Cougars (I am talking cars). I remember a high school kid driving a yellow 69/70 Boss 302 Mustang.

Ken

Did anybody else notice that the text states the restoration was done by Kevin Marti? I remember the magazine article

Yes. Looks like he did it in the late 80’s?

1 Like

Looks like @jsv bought the car? Congrats! Looks like you sold the ‘69 red CJ convertible and stepped into this one instead?

1 Like

Great price too!

Yes, that was me. It occurred to me that I already had a lot of the parts to take it to the next level.

3 Likes

That is AWSEOME!

Looks like a great buy! Well done Joe.

Looking for your thoughts, opinions on this car. I am currently bringing it all up to snuff. Would you go with the original 14 inch steel wheels with hubcaps or an aftermarket legendary wheel with 225s up front and 235 in the rear. BTW, this car in incredibly original. 59K miles and even still has the painted factory stripes on the red shocks.

1 Like

Factory wire wheel covers would be the only wheel covers I would consider. I like the aftermarket wheels and redline tires in the picture too.

Thanks for the feedback. The aftermarket wheels that came with the car are 14" with redline tires. Cool, but wondering if Aluminum 15" styled steel Legendary wheels with raised white letter tires might not set it off a bit.

I would talk to Kevin Marti about the restoration. Looks to me like Kevin used a lot of NOS parts that are not available today.

1 Like

Royce- yes he did. Amazing how original this car is. And the date code correct carb and radiator, which were missing, were sourced. They have been fully restored/recored and are being installed.

The BAT auction pics didn’t really demonstrate how preserved this car is- but more to follow. The before and after pics will bring that home.

2 Likes

Can I add my vote for 14" with hubcaps. Can’t argue with how it came.

1 Like

For sure! That would be a very understated look. Given that the original buyer ordered it with the 428 CJ with Ram Air and the 3.00 locker, maybe that was the look he was after…

1 Like

Love it!

• Phillip

One of my best friends in high schools mother had one of the 31 R code, 4 speed, XR-7 verts. Dark Ivy Metallic/saddle interior, black top, and it came new with white walls and caps. Beautiful understated car.

I believe since it has AC that mandated the 3.00 ratio.

1 Like

True, with AC you got the 3.00 rear with either the 390 (1969 only) or 428. The “optional ratio” was the 3.25 rear if you speced that.

I think the optional spec was the 3.00 Locking vs the 3.00 open which most cars with a/c came with.