1971 Cougar GT

Cool! I’ve always had a soft spot for the '71-'72 GTs, and you almost never see them.

Nice!!!
Was hoping it was in the for sale section.

It is tough for me to put a value on it. It is a Special order car for the Ford Advertising Department. I am still trying to figure out who’s signature is on the invoice. ??? I still don’t know what it was used for. Order Type: “Special Purpose Vehicle”. ??? Checking to see if it is an advertising car or a show car or, well, I don’t know. It is tough to find information from 50 years ago.

The engine was hotrodded when I purchased it 20yrs ago and the correct heads, intake, carb and exhaust were missing, I have not really tried to hunt down the original parts. Instead I sent it to a machine shop and rebuilt it the best I could with mostly what I had. The current non factory matching parts are: 2V heads with extensive porting and rework with roller setup, edelbrock intake, Edelbrock carb. and Hooker Super Comp headers as well as some internal changes such as cam, pistons, torque converter, gears and posi.

I wouldn’t know what to ask for it.

I seem to remember a STP Andy Granitalli 71 GT Giveaway. I have an add at home I will look for when I get home. I think it was White though.

The car is the STP ad is bright yellow.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

LOL “7 Gals Gas $2.33”.

What are Steel Guard Rails?

I was thinking the White one n the back ground was a GT. But I can see it isn’t as well as not being Pastel Blue.

Don, my '71 Cyclone sticker called those out also - the guard beams in the doors for T-bone collisions.

That was my guess. It’s just a way for them to advertise a new feature once in a while, just like in 69 when they mention the headrest restraints on every window sticker even though every single car had them

That is what I was thinking too, how ever and for what it is worth that is not listed on my 71 XR-7’s Marti report.

or window sticker

Just another question unanswered.

At one point Ford window stickers featured “Lifeguard Design Safety Features”.

I assumed they were the “Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers” on the front bumper. I have seen some with and some without them. I could be wrong.

Minus .26 cents for intra-company write-off.

Isn’t there a guy on here with a Yellow GT he claims is the only one? Or only Yellow 351C 4v, or something, I forget now. If he could check his DSO.

Your bumper guards were a part of the Appearance Protection Group shown on your invoice.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

mine also had the “Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers” and has the Appearance Protection Group.

Would you sell just the Blue Upbeat stripe seats and floor mats. LOL
BTW…Do you have the Blue upbeat stripe floormats?
Is there a place I could buy enough “Blue Upbeat Stripe” material to do the seats and floormats?
Are the floormats a different material?

Would you sell just the Blue Upbeat stripe seats and floor mats. LOL

Only if you buy the car. It does have the front floor mats. I’m not sure if there were rears made. I don’t recall ever seeing any.

The floor mats are more of a carpet like material bonded to a rubber hacking and are embossed with “Rubbermaid” on them.

I am not sure, but maybe check with Don at West Coast Classic Cougar. He may not have any but I would think he knows of somebody that has it.