429 CJ Cougar Getting Press

Beautiful cars Mitch and yes glad to see some of the 71-73 series getting some attention. I can’t say which I like better, partial to the all black but you know me I have to have those power windows. Thanks for sharing more pictures :smoke:

I miss my 71 XR7, loaded, black with black vinyl top and blue interior. Torino Cobra Jet shaker scoop and so on. Won many races with that baby.:slight_smile:

Yeah, I love the black ones and the blue on white cars too. The pewter is surprisingly nice to look at, for sure.

A 71 429CJ car is right up the road from me sitting in a junk yard. It is missing the motor and trans. The guy only wants a 1000.00 bucks with a title. I sure would like to see it saved.
I tried to get some interest a few years back and no takers. If I remember correct it was black. Rare vin#

Nice cars Mitch! How does the 429 Mustang run? I really like that year, allways wanted a Boss 351.

Alright. I’ll bite. Where the heck are you and where is the car?

My thoughts exactly!

Hello Andy, I am in Elk Creek Va. The car is in Meadows of Dan Va. cool name huh? It had an engine fire and needs work for sure but it was not bad rusty last time I saw it. I used to have one of the pistons clearly marked 429CJ but it burned in my fire. He would take less I bet as I did not try to haggle or anything. I get over that way pretty regular and would be glad to make the trip if someone was serious.
Mike

The Mustang belongs to a friend - loaded CJ conv - runs nice aprox 56000 miles - unrestored.

Hear is somebodys chance for a rare big block in black - this is one of the black ones on the registry. And with a title

That’s right up the parkway from Asheville and I’ve got a bunch of motorcycle stuff I’m liquidating right now. So, maybe good timing.
I’d like to know more, for sure.

Were all 429CJ’s GT’s or could you get the 429CJ without the GT package? I saw a old article about a Cougar GT in yellow. This current article with the red CJ 4 speed dosen’t say anything about the GT package.
Steven

Yellow 429CJ Article
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2009/08/01/hmn_tips1.html

Mitch, do you still have the vin? Im glad you remember!
I am on the road again.
In Pa. buying barns.

Andy, I even have a strong fresh 71 429. One thing I would like to know, the 429 4v is rated at 370 hp, why only 5hp bump on CJ? 428CJ rated 335hp,I have allways heard for insurance. Why come back even later and rate higher when gas and insurance were getting worse.
Sorry to jump around, but my 429 is not a CJ. Original Lincoln 40,000 mile motor though that I ran a couple thosand in my F250 4 wheel.
I should buy it but NO MORE PROJECTS, until I get my shop built.

Haha, I understand the “no more projects” thing.

If you look at the cars released by competitors in the 70 and 71 model years, you’ll see the GM offerings especially really got their big engines dialed in around the 71 model year. Really, they were trying to outdo the offerings in 70 and the whispered about 71’s.
Looking at the Pontiac GTO, you can see that the 455 debuted in 70 and then in 71 it was revamped. But, the Grand Prix with relatively the same 455 was rated around the 370hp mark.
So, even though the ratings were +/- the true hp rating, they were really put on paper for PR purposes. Mercury had to show they had just as big of a hammer to swing as Pontiac, Chevy, and Mopar’s stuff for those years. That’s really all it was.
A lot of cool stuff came out in that period between 69 and 71, as you well know. Imagine being the guy who had to keep up with those legendary cars.
I can’t imagine ok’ing a Q-jet on a Mercury product though. It boggles my mind.

The 71 429CJ horsepower ratings mirrored those of 1970 - 429CJ 370/ 429SCJ 375, The only chage was the adding the Cougar/Mustang to the Cyclone/Torino 1970 offerings so they weren’t reacting to GM but just working with the phase out of the FE series motors in passener cars.

Using the Q-Jet carb saved Ford aprox $65.00/car vs the cost of the airpump required for use with a holly. the 4300-D was offered on the B0SS 351 but not on big blocks in 71 - the contract with Rochester was proably already in place.

Mitch

Fascinating. Thanks for the info, Mitch.

Mitch, what were the actual hp on the 4v, CJ, and SCJ and do you still have that vin on the car I’m talking about? Please post it, I forget if its an auto or 4sp. Thanks for all the good info.

No - The GT was the replacement to the Eliminator - it actually could be ordered with any 71 Cougar engine. The Cougar GT was positioned between the Cougar and the Cougar XR7.

see: http://www.cougarclub.org/registry/Cougars101/gt.aspx for more info on the 71 GT package.

Mitch

429 Thunderjet - 360HP - Not offered on the cougar
429CJ - 370HP
429SCJ - 375HP

As registrar - I cannot publicly post serial numbers without the owners permission. I can tell you this

1F91C - which would be 1 Cougar HT with a non-ram air engine, Color is A, Trim 1A, axel 9 trans U, built 6/71 DSO 41

This would make it one of the latest know 429CJ cars.

Mitch