429 CJ Cougar Getting Press

Mitch,
I know the 71 came with a 429, but are you saying that the 70 also came with a 429? I thought the 70 came with a “Q” code 428.

Thank you Mitch. I had the hp wrong. I understand on the vin. Sure would be nice to see this car fixed. The 429 I have would do okay until a CJ came along wouldnt it?

Yes it would - The basic difference being heads and 4 bolt mains. even the 2 bolt blocks are stought enough to be capable of 500+ HP and still hold together. The ports on a CJ engine are optimal for something in the 460-480 CI range.

The 429CJ/SCJ started production in 1969 in the 1970 Torino/Cyclone lines. While the 429 was considered in 70 Cougar/Mustang the decision was made to use up remainin 428 Blocks for the for several reasons including not wanting to waste perfectly good engines, Plus the fit of the 429CJ in the existing mustang cougar platform would be extremely tight, the 71 engine bay is wider and with redesigned shock towers aid in working on the car. I was simply stating that Ford did not change 429CJ Horse Power ratings from 70 to 71. same engine/horse power - new application for the engine.

By the end of 70 Ford ran out of 428CJ engines, they actually went to KarKraft and recyled 428CJ engines that had been used to build the Boss 429 cars. and removed when the Boss’s were converted.

Good deal. I know with a 750 dbl pumper Holley and the timing set right in low range it ran like a funny car! I would have had to put a rev limiter on it if I had kept it in that truck. Revs like a small block but AWESOME torque. I used to put my feet on the dash and idle up a hill you could not walk down. The good old days. Its getting me fired up, I am going to hot rod something this afternoon!
I might have to play Nascar with the Bronco in the front pasture. It still smells like wine that my wife could not hold on to the last time I did it.
Its fun being a Redneck.
C’mon Andy, your cars waiting.

I have to tell a little bit of the story: My wife thought we were going on a leisuerly ride around the property which we do quite often at sunset. Until I dropped it in low range and put the pedal to the metal! YeeHa! Its way more fun sliding sideways around corners in a pasture, you get this jumping deal going on. But then of course its impossible to hold on to a glass of wine, beers better.
Gives you a little idea.
I did get in trouble. Red wine on one of her favorite blouses.
Worth it.

One more question Mitch, So if a 70 had a 429 it would have had to be built late 1970?
the reason Im asking is this, a friend of mine knows of a 70 cougar convertible that he says has a 429 in it. He used it many years ago for his wedding and after that, it just sat in a garage. He thinks his friend still has it and last he heard the price on it was $2500. He said he is sure the under side needs work and the body has bondo in it as well. Would something like this be a rare breed?

A 429 in a 70 would have to be a transplant from another car. The vin code will tell you what it should have i.e. H - 351 2v, M 3514V, G-Boss 302, Q 428CJ

If it is a 429CJ with a correct transmission - it could be worth the asking price for the engine.

Mitch

Thanks Mitch, I will have to check it out.

I’m just waiting for my transmission guy to tell me if my Subaru needs a new trans or we can button it up and keep on going.
:flushme:

It feels like a waste of money when I spend cash on a car that doesn’t have chrome bumpers and a metal dash.

Andy, that 1000.00 asking price was 7 or 8 years ago. I bet he will take less. The car is in his junk yard and not real easy to get at. Which is a good thing.If I remember he had it up on blocks. The owner is a big time Ford guy and has a few 427 cars. So he knows what hes got. I bought my N case trac lok from him for 400.00. He would not take a Va. check. I had to drive about 50 miles to hit an atm.
I will try and get him on the phone today. I will let you know back.

Thanks, man! Lemme know if it’s still there.

I talked to the man and its still there. He says it is in the same condition, no worse. He seemed to think it was an SCJ. He didnt argue when I said that I thought it was a CJ. He does not talk much anyhow. One thing, its 1000.00 dollars. The way he talks I dont think he will negotiate much, if at all.
He also has a part restored 57 T Bird,312 auto. 12,000.00 I think another road trip is in my immediate future. I just dont know when for sure.

Thanks Wood. I’ll see if I can get up there this coming week and check it out. Maybe Tuesday.

Take lots of pictures.